Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does vinegar stop cats from peeing somewhere? (need help ASAP please!)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm cleaning the carpets (taking a break) and my cat pees and pees DIRECTLY BEHIND the litter box, which is our nursery when we have babies in the house. I'm trying to get it out of the carpets via Rug Doctor, but I really don't want to have to do this EVER AGAIN!  I'm just rinsing with vinegar and water in the solution part right now. I only have a little detergent left and was going to use that on the final round.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do?!

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM

No, it helps neutralize the smell in clothing or fabric.

WilliamsMama08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Sounds like it may just be missing?  What if you got a little box with a lid like this?

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I would get a covered litter box so it can't miss, and scrub down the wall and basboards and carpet with a solution of half water, half vineger, and a couple teaspoons of baking soda. That should get rid of the oder.  But it doesn't sound like your cat is spraying the room randomly, he is just missing the litter. So if you get a covered box, you shouldnt have any more problems.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

First_One_8_18
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I don't think he is missing. I've seen him go behind it to pee instead of in it.

Thanks for the advice!

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

Aamy
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Get a cat pan with a lid. Also push it against the wall so he cant get back in behind it. Also make sure the cat box stays clean. GL !

WilliamsMama08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Do you keep the box really clean?  Some cats a picky and HATE their box dirty... ever notice a cat will go potty right after you clean their box?

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I don't think he is missing. I've seen him go behind it to pee instead of in it.

Thanks for the advice!

First_One_8_18
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I am now ; )

It was SO's job (it's his cat), but he is gone for about a month, so I got to take it over.

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

Do you keep the box really clean?  Some cats a picky and HATE their box dirty... ever notice a cat will go potty right after you clean their box?

Quoting First_One_8_18:

Thanks for the advice!

tiffanysgirls
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM
Once a cat starts spraying it is nearly impossible to get them to stop. There is nothing that totally eliminate the odor. YOU might no longer be able to smell it but your cat will be able to....and he will keep peeing.

If you block off that area he will most likely start spraying somewhere else. Did you neuter him before he was 6 months old? A cat neutered prior to puberty (before 6 months) do not develop secondary sex characteristics which includes spraying to mark territory for mating.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)