Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

21 month old sleeping too much?!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, my youngest DD is 21 months old. For the past few weeks, she has been sleeping her days away. It takes everything I have to make her stay awake and active. She has even taken 4-5 hour naps (she used to only take a 2 hour nap during the day). And her appetite has went way down. She used to eat everything in site, now she just picks or won't eat at all. My oldest never went through this kind of stage. Is this normal or should I be worried?

**April 29, she ran a fever of 102....medicine would take it down to 101, but it stayed around 103-104 for 2 days. Doctor ran bloodwork and said it looked ok but to keep an eye on her. Since the day the fever started, she has ran low grade fevers and her sleeping and eating habits have changed!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2LiamNMolly
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM

You need to take her back to the doctors. IMO, that is not normal.

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

bonitamomma3
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM

i think i would call the doctors office.  kind of sounds like she still doesn't feel good.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I would say that blood work needs to be done to see what is going on. Is she up longer at night now? Maybe switching days for nights.

ShadowRaven
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Fever is a sign that she's fighting some kind of illness. Does she have any other symptoms?

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

MyGirlsMyHeart2
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Quoting Mamamanic:

I would say that blood work needs to be done to see what is going on. Is she up longer at night now? Maybe switching days for nights.

Her sleeping patterns at night haven't changed too much.  She goes to bed around 9 and wakes up around 7.  She has been waking up crying some nights, but goes right back to sleep.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Mine would tend to sleep at weird times when teething also. Like a way to cope with the teething pain and would eat less because her mouth hurt.. Try adding pediasure or a chewable vitamin with iron to see if she balances out some. I found out my dd had low iron and they gave her iron drops and she ate a little more with the drops.

kandibaby1030
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Could she be cutting molars??  Loss of appetite, fever, and especially the crying during the night, sure sounds like teething to me!   I would definitely take her back into the Ped though!  Good luck!

ZombieBroad
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

my daughter had every single symptom that urs does and she turned out to have coaxsackie virus. ask ur doc if that could be it.

ribblettmommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

It sounds to me like she is hitting a growth spurt.  My boys do this from time to time and when I asked my doctor about it she said that its totally normal and when they are out of this phase they will want to eat everything in sight.  If your mommy intuition still tells you something's not right, then take her in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)