• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh boy...HELP!! (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM
  • 3 Replies

My 16yr sister text me yesterday wanting help getting birth control.  I think it is great that she is being proactive about protecting herself.  I just don't know how to go about helping her.  I know that my parents aren't against the idea but I also don't know why they haven't put her on it yet.  My dad is totally for it but seeing how he is a man and a truck driver that's never home he isn't going to take her to get it.  I have no idea what my mother's problem is.  I was on the pill when I was 16.  The only thing I can think of is that there are a few differences between me and my sister.

1) she is the same age I was but I got it at the end of my junior year and she will be starting her junior year

2) I was with my high school sweetheart for 3yrs when I asked for it and she has been with her bf for a month

3) My high school sweetheart was the only guy I was with and she has already had at least one sexual partner (and I believe that is the only one but not for sure)

She told me she is scared to ask mom for it because she doesn't want her to think she is having sex with her bf.  I believe her but it's only a matter of time before she does which is why she needs the pill.  I have talked to mom about it several times in the past but obviously she still hasn't done it.

So my question is how do I approach this subject with my mother and convince her it is time for the pill?  Or is there anyway my dad can approve it and I take her to get it?  Or can I just take her without parent approval?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LovesPinkk
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Well, I would def okay it all with your mom before helping her get on the pill.  You don't want to start any drama with your mom.  But I would just remind her that your sister is going to have sex with or with out pill (most 16yr old girls do) & it is so much better to make sure she is protected.  And the more your mom tries to avoid getting her the pill -the more likely your sister will be to have sex without. She is 16 afterall, and she will probably rebell against her mother soon enough.  So I would just remind your mom of all that before she gets the pill without her consent. 

savedbygrace316
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I'm wondering if she hasn't taken her yet because she is the baby in the family.  I'm the oldest.  Mom would always tell me to just ask when I was ready for it and when I did we got it.  The only other thing is maybe she thinks my sister will be promiscuous.  But to me that all the more reason to get it.

Quoting LovesPinkk:

Well, I would def okay it all with your mom before helping her get on the pill.  You don't want to start any drama with your mom.  But I would just remind her that your sister is going to have sex with or with out pill (most 16yr old girls do) & it is so much better to make sure she is protected.  And the more your mom tries to avoid getting her the pill -the more likely your sister will be to have sex without. She is 16 afterall, and she will probably rebell against her mother soon enough.  So I would just remind your mom of all that before she gets the pill without her consent. 

CafeMom Tickers
LovesPinkk
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM

IMO -it sounds like your mom had more trust in you than your sister. OR maybe she just doesn't want to face the fact that your lil sister is growing up.  But it sounds like your sister is a smart girl for asking for it & I think that your mom should take her to get it... regardless of how long she's been with her boyfriend or even if she didn't have one. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)