Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need the PROS and CONS of...

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM
  • 5 Replies

My husband and I are looking at houses.  We have looked at 8 already and 5 of them had had home owners association fees.  The fees are not outrageous BUT I guess my husband and I do not know much about HOA. 

What exactly is included in HOA fees?  I mean the way my husband is looking at is we are paying an association to give us rules and in force them.  We will keep up a house but we don't want to go to them to ASK permission to put up a house when that is our house and our land.

With that said we don't know much about HOA.  If you know anything about HOA or you live in a neighborhood with HOA fees can you please respond with your experience, pros, and cons please. Thank You!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Loved4Sure
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM

All HOA fees vary.

Some cover garbage collection and yard manitenance as well as include on site car washes etc. Parks, pools....the list goes on.

Some HOA are just fees collected by the 'homeowners' association and you get squat but the privilege of living in their community. Fees may go toward annual barbecues or block parties.

You have to ask each place what is includedin the HOA fee.

3earthangels
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I really don't know much, but we had that problem too. It seemed to us that the only thing we would be paying for was to live in a neighborhood that each house was similar. You won't end up having a lime green & florecent pink home with high grass and broken down cars in the yard that also has a lighthouse mailbox in your neighborhood, lol.

One neighborhood we looked at was awful strict. There was 4 colors you could paint your house, no chain link fences (all had to be wood picket fences in either natural or white finish.), no older cars visible in the driveway or yard, grass kept at 5 inches or below, no visible swimming pool/hot tub, no visible toys in the yard.... it was outrageous. Needless to say we didn't buy a house there.

The US Immigration Support Group - We know it's a hard process. We're here to listen, offer a shoulder to cry on, and a helping hand.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I had a beautiful house in SoCal that had an HOA. It was $250 a month plus a once yearly special assessment that varied from $500-$1750. The HOA paid for the water and maintenance of my slopes.... which was about 3/4 of an acre. I had to pay for water and maintenance of the flat parcel of my land... which was about an acre . It covered insurance on those slopes and also maintenance of the horse path... that is all. I had to pay for trash, landscaping, all my utilities, and everything else. They could also tell me what colors I could paint the house, what type of roof I must put on, even the color, and so on. Failure to pay the HOA, even the special assessment would result in legal action... they actually tried to foreclose on a neighbors house because he didn't pay for a few months (which sucked because his wife died and he lost his business). I fyou left your trash out more than 12 hours, you got nasty letters... if I had a party, I had to get approval... it sucked... it was a house worth over a million bucks and i felt like a prisoner... I would NEVER live in a place with an HOA again. It sucked.

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I would suggest you look at the hoa contract. I know my sil could not park their truck in front of their RV gate on their rocks and property. And often they are slow to clean up weeds from the side lots by her house and then wweds start to grow in her yard. I don't have.

momma2-3boys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Thank you for your honesty, this is exactly what we do not want.  We are looking for houses and going to pay to break our lease to go elsewhere and be told what to do just as living where we do right now renting, NO THANK YOU!

Quoting Mom2LiamNMolly:

I had a beautiful house in SoCal that had an HOA. It was $250 a month plus a once yearly special assessment that varied from $500-$1750. The HOA paid for the water and maintenance of my slopes.... which was about 3/4 of an acre. I had to pay for water and maintenance of the flat parcel of my land... which was about an acre . It covered insurance on those slopes and also maintenance of the horse path... that is all. I had to pay for trash, landscaping, all my utilities, and everything else. They could also tell me what colors I could paint the house, what type of roof I must put on, even the color, and so on. Failure to pay the HOA, even the special assessment would result in legal action... they actually tried to foreclose on a neighbors house because he didn't pay for a few months (which sucked because his wife died and he lost his business). I fyou left your trash out more than 12 hours, you got nasty letters... if I had a party, I had to get approval... it sucked... it was a house worth over a million bucks and i felt like a prisoner... I would NEVER live in a place with an HOA again. It sucked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)