Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tummy sleeping or back sleeping for babies??

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

I've heard it both ways but wanted to hear it from real mommas. Did u put your babies on their backs or on their tummies? What do u think is the safest way?

Thanks in advance

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WilliamsMama08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM

He's always slept on his tummy.  He felt more secure and it helped with his gassiness...

SuperMom2MandM
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Back is definitely safer. We always put both of my kids on their backs. My daughter (she is almost 2 now) will roll over to stomach now but I don't worry as much as if I would if she were a baby.

They say to put them on their back because when they lie on their tummies they can suffocate by putting their head straight down. This covers  nose and mouth, and babies under a certain age do not know to turn their heads so they can breathe.

mommyin07n08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM

My daughter would not sleep on her back, it had to be her side. My son also wouldnt sleep on his back, it had to be his tummy. They both still sleep that way. My daughter is 2 and my son in 8 months.

in love Cassi and Tony 12/10/07ttc TTC #3 baby boy Landon 09/23/08toddler girlEmily 05/19/07

mykidsaremyall
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM

we did BACK for both kids. i remember from that saying 'back to sleep'. when my sister was born (27 years ago) my mom said she was told to put her on her tummy. me (24) they said side sleeping was the best...now its back. it can all be very confusing. i have read up about the statistics and articles about putting a child on their back, and i agree with the reasoning so that is what i chose. my babies are toddlers now, so they sleep any which way they can.

missamanda86
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I let my DD sleep how she wanted to. Most of the time it  was on her tummy

mdwright4
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM

ok for the side sleeper did u use those pillow things that keep them on their sides or did she just stay that way?

Quoting mommyin07n08:

My daughter would not sleep on her back, it had to be her side. My son also wouldnt sleep on his back, it had to be his tummy. They both still sleep that way. My daughter is 2 and my son in 8 months.

2milesboys
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Jacob slept on his tummy still does at age 2

Matthew slept both ways and at age 1 still does

Ezra is a back sleeper

its all about them being comfortable

taylansmom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

my son slept on his tummy if not he was up every 15 minutes. he was more comfortable on his tummy he is 2 years old now and is fine.

preview image

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I always propped mine a little on their side from a on the back position. Lifted one side and propped baby with a rolled up recieving blanket. It made me feel better in case baby spit up in their sleep they would not choke. Once they can move their head, it doesn't matter.

rickitikitavi
by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

i put both kids on back but my daughter wouldnt sleep when in her back so i switched her to her tummy and kept a eye on her more.my son did fine on his back.i think it depends on the child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)