Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tailbone pain caused by childbirth?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, I just wanted to find out if there are any other mom's out there who suffer from tailbone pain that has been linked to the birth of their child and if so what kind of treatment methods have you tried, and what worked?

Background story. I have a two year old son. He was 8 lbs. 6 oz. when he was born and he literally shot out like a cannon ball out of a cannon. Lately, whenever I sit for a few minutes and then go to stand up, my tailbone aches like crazy. It's only when the pressure of sitting is let off the tailbone that the pain starts and for a while after if I try and contract the muscles around the bone, it hurts as well. Went to my doctor, had x-ray's done. The x-ray shows that there is an abnormal amount of space between the first two bones of the tailbone. Normally it's the smallest bone on the end that gets damaged but because he was large and came out so rapidly she believes that he spread those two bones apart. No real explanation for why the pain started almost two years later, as I have not injured my tailbone in any way. Doctor says that it is most likey due to the way I carry my son and how my pelvis has become misaligned as he has gotten larger and heavier. Apparently there can be muscle and tissue issues when the pelvis gets misaligned like that. She wants me to do physical therapy.

So, I was hoping to get some insight from other mom's that have dealt with tailbone pain due to childbirth, or misalignment of the pelvis. Hopefully someone has dealt with it AND had it fixed because I'd love to know what works. I'm a little worried about the physical therapy. Doing some reading on it, and some therapists use internal manipulation to move the tailbone around. If that's the case, I guess I'll be sitting on a donut forever because there's no way in hell someone's sticking their finger up there. :)

Thanks in advance for any info you guys might have!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ms.Upinyourface
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Chiropractic is the answer.

Callie_Cassidy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I have the same issue! never went in to have it looked at but always wondered if it was just something i did, like fallin on ice never bothered to ask around about it!

peppermintkathy
by on May. 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I just had a 9.10oz baby 3 months ago. Yes, I have all the pain. Tailbone, pubic bone...and my spine. I feel like a cripple!  I"ve been getting massages and chiro...still out a wack!

Hoping it feels better soon.

Peppermintk
LilBuddysMom07
by on May. 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM

no tailbone pain for me - but my hip is now out of alignment from giving birth and then carrying him on one hip all the time. i did physical therapy and they showed me exercises...which do help when i do them. you might want to talk to your dr to see what they can do for you.

CafeMom Tickers
mrssgtbrewer
by on May. 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM

What will the chiropractor do to help the problem? Just wondering if I should go that route before Physical Therapy.

luvjulie
by on May. 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I had that tailbone pain for a long time after my third and it did eventually go away. My doctor said I must have bruished my tailbone during pushing. I think chiropractic or physical therapy should help you.

hotmom40ish
by on May. 27, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I haven't experienced this myself, but I agree with the doc. I would try the physical therapy. Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)