• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feel like we have been pooping money!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:32 PM
  • 2 Replies

well not really, its just how I feel.  Our old riding mower that we got 2 years ago off the side of the road for 100 bucks died, and ironically our push mower wont work now, so we had to buy a new mower.  We found one, the cheapest one in town for 999.  So we got that one.  Wonderful mower, it goes in REVERSE which our old one didn't.  It has a gear shift, which our old one didn't becuase it broke off.  We don't have to use a screwdriver to start the new mower! And it goes in 7 different speeds instead of just 1(way too fast).  it also has brakes, which our old one didnt.  Its a completly different mowing experience.  Its no longer death defying to mow our really hilly 1 acre lawn.  On top of the mower pooping out, my husbands work computer is very near death and cannot be fixed without shelling out more than a new computer costs so we had to get a new computer. It seriously sad, it makes a high pitched eeeeeee sound and thumps at odd intervals when its on and will randomly turn off when you aren't expecting it.   So that was another 1,000 durring the same DAY, ick I feel ill.  I have to get 2 new car seats that cost 199 a peice because they are the only seats I can find that enable us to fit 3 kids across the back of our ford focus.  And our dryer stopped working and needed to be repaired, 115 dollars.  Its tough watching all that money go out the window especially when you aren't really anticipating it happening all at once like this.  Now for some of you this may seem like no big deal, but we are in NO way rich.  You want to know how not rich we are?  Well last year our total taxable income was 8,000 dollars.  This year we are doing better, the family buisness is growing exponentially but we still aren't going to make alot.  Anyway, its times like these I thank God we don't beleive in using credit cards.  We have no credit card, only debit.  We put half of what we make into savings and the other half we live on and make buisness purchases.  Its rough and we have to be careful but it will totally be worth it some day.  So the things we bought today are paid for, thats a really good feeling.  Much better than knowing we have a gigantic tab on a card with an equally gigantic interest rate.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
denise22
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I am so jealous.  We do everything on credit.  I am always afraid that we'll need the cash for something else and so we pay for stuff w/ credit.  Our credit cards are out of control.  We just came back from shopping and, you guessed it, all on credit.  We do try to pay them down and some get chopped up after a while but it's a hard cycle to break.  Good for you guys! 

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM

You should read The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey. Its an awsome book that really helps you get out of debt.  Its not a gimic and you don't have to buy anything, you can get his books at the library and he does a tv show and radio show. You can watch the tv show online at www.hulu.com, just do a search for the dave ramsey show.  I love his tips, they are so down to earth and they absolutly work.  I especially love the tips on making sure to build up a 1,000 dollar emergency cash fund for unexpected expenses.  We keep it liquid in the house, and it has saved our butts alot.  Also we do something called the envelope system.  We take money out of every paycheck and stick it away in envelopes.  Like grocery money, gas, entertainment, clothes, vet visits.  Each thing to save for has a different envelope and when we need something in one of our saved for categories we just go get it, with cash.  Its perfect because you can never overspend.  If you only have 60 bucks for groceries you will only spend 60 bucks.  There is also something wonderful he came up with called the 'debt snowball'.  It helps you to stay motivated and pays off debt fast.  You just line up all your debts from SMALLEST to LARGEST regardless of interest rate, and leave off your home mortgage.  Then look really hard at your budget and get rid of anything you don't really need.  Then throw all the extra money towards you smallest debt.  Once the smallest is payed off take all the money you were paying on that one and throw it at the next smallest.  When that one is gone work on the next smallest with all the money from your first and second debt combined.  The money you can throw at your debt increases alot with each debt eliminated at makes paying off the bigger ones easier and fast.  Also you would need to cut up all your credit cards.  You don't need them because you have an emergency cash fund for cush.  

Quoting denise22:

I am so jealous.  We do everything on credit.  I am always afraid that we'll need the cash for something else and so we pay for stuff w/ credit.  Our credit cards are out of control.  We just came back from shopping and, you guessed it, all on credit.  We do try to pay them down and some get chopped up after a while but it's a hard cycle to break.  Good for you guys! 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)