Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*VENT* No job and 2 degrees....

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM
  • 20 Replies

So, my husband has been out of work since January because his work permit was in processing (he was working off his student visa before). Well, he finally got it 2 weeks ago (YAY!!) and since I am out of school now, we can both work full time. You would think that 2 people who both have a degree would have a job or at least some perspectives....NO...NONE..I took out extra money for the spring semester in January to get us by while he wasn't working and we have run out of that money. I thought that at least one of us would have a job, but we don't and it's just so fustrating...And to make it worse, we live in a small town (it's where we went to college, not by choice) so you pretty much have to know people to get a good job or you're screwed.

Our original plan was to move closer to my parents, where I am from because it is a MUCH better area but DH went down there for a week and still is having no luck finding anything, plus we can't afford the cost of moving now either...And half the point of going closer was that we wouldn't have to put DD in daycare, my mom could take care of her, but now she is trying to find a job too because they have been hit hard by the economy. I just feel so stuck and upset. I had this whole plan and now it is down the drain...I don't know what to do!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Proud Mom Of 1 Blinkie
I Married My College Sweetheart Blinkie
I Love my Baby Girl Blinkie
June Babe Blinkie
BlinkieMommies.com
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EnigmaMuse
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:42 PM

What fields are your degrees in?

What part of the country do you live in?

What is the prevailing industry where you live?

lyndonsmom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Well I don't have 2 degrees I have to "certificates" and I will be getting my 3rd later this year.  I am having no luck in my job field or even trying to get a job a walmart and places like that.  I think it has everything to do with this economy, I hope you find something soon!

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM

try applying everywhere, not just in your degree feild.  Right now you need income, it doesn't matter from what.  Its summer, your hubby can mow old ladies yards for 20-50 bucks a pop for a while until something else comes up.  Just go to your local senior center and put up a flyer. It may seem humiliating, or possibly 'low' because you have all this education, but money is money and you need it.  Your student loans will be comming due since you are now out of school.  My father has 3 degrees 2 bachelors and 1 masters, but he never could get jobs in those feilds when he needed too, so now he is a financial advisor.  He owns his own buisness and does quite well. But when I was growing up he took anything.  He did pest control, managed a resturant, owned a hardware store, and sold RV's at one time or another all to pay off bills and put food on the table.  Durring that time my parents paid off their home,and  built a new one with cash.  So we had 2 houses when others barely had one.  Just be as thrifty as you can, and take anything that comes along.  And please don't use credit cards to get you through this, that always turns out bad. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

MamaToHaileyBug
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Thanks...mine is in Education and his is in Business Marketing and Management. It's just so hard finding even the smallest things around here (we live in East Tennessee). I have contemplated opening up credit cards to help because we really have nothing, but I know in the long run it will turn bad so I don't.

Quoting norahsmommy:

try applying everywhere, not just in your degree feild.  Right now you need income, it doesn't matter from what.  Its summer, your hubby can mow old ladies yards for 20-50 bucks a pop for a while until something else comes up.  Just go to your local senior center and put up a flyer. It may seem humiliating, or possibly 'low' because you have all this education, but money is money and you need it.  Your student loans will be comming due since you are now out of school.  My father has 3 degrees 2 bachelors and 1 masters, but he never could get jobs in those feilds when he needed too, so now he is a financial advisor.  He owns his own buisness and does quite well. But when I was growing up he took anything.  He did pest control, managed a resturant, owned a hardware store, and sold RV's at one time or another all to pay off bills and put food on the table.  Durring that time my parents paid off their home,and  built a new one with cash.  So we had 2 houses when others barely had one.  Just be as thrifty as you can, and take anything that comes along.  And please don't use credit cards to get you through this, that always turns out bad.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Proud Mom Of 1 Blinkie
I Married My College Sweetheart Blinkie
I Love my Baby Girl Blinkie
June Babe Blinkie
BlinkieMommies.com
erika_wright
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM

my husband graduated in dec 07 w a degree, but couldnt get a job. in march 08 he went to a course for appraising vehicle collision damage. w in 2 weeks he had a job bc of the certification.

if he sees something that looks promising, but theywant something he doesnt have yet, try your best to get it.

a lot of things now are who you know too. if he has a friend who has an uncle who works at such and such, talk to them. it never hurts to try that stuff. 

erika_wright
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:04 PM

dont do the credit cards!! do everything else you can think of first, avoidit atall costs. welived w my parents for a year to avoid doing that.

Quoting MamaToHaileyBug:

Thanks...mine is in Education and his is in Business Marketing and Management. It's just so hard finding even the smallest things around here (we live in East Tennessee). I have contemplated opening up credit cards to help because we really have nothing, but I know in the long run it will turn bad so I don't.

Quoting norahsmommy:

EnigmaMuse
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Quoting MamaToHaileyBug:

Here's my very best advice for you guys.

Your best bet is to start looking nation wide. Don't only look for areas where their is a high number of jobs or demand for these fields.. Also take the time to research what areas are going to need people in these fields in the future.. Once you find some places, research them and really consider moving to one of these areas.. Don't just think about your need right now (even though that is incredibly important and what ways on our minds the heaviest) but think about your future as well.

In the mean time..   Apply for any and every job that you can possibly qualify for.. Don't just stick to your field if there is an immediate need for employment. Plus experienee in other fields can add to your  "worth" in the job market inside and outside your chosen field  in the future.

Good luck.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2009 at 7:08 PM

My husband has 20+ experience in his field and a Bachelors.. Since jobs are being outsourced in his field (Computer Consulting).. it's scarce to find anything these days.. He's currently looking for another contract.

Too many jobs in various fields are being outsourced to India and China.

I wish you luck in finding anything these days. Higher education is really the only business somewhat thriving, unless you can work for the government or state department.

Jenia312
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM

With such a harsh economy, it's almost impossible to get a job in whatever field of studies you graduated in.  Due to tough circumstances, just take whatever jobs you're able to find for now.  It's very difficult everywhere you go. 

Good luck!

kelpresmommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Dont feel bad I am getting my associates in a few months and well i havent found no work in that feild or anything else......and i have been out of work since beginning of May.....

So its just alot harder then it use to be now a days due to economy and such.........so just start doing what you can odd jobs hell even daycare if you can babysit for others for so much a day or a week,,,,,,,,,,that helps alot especially being paid every week.......i am thinking of putting flyers up for babysitting in my home and in the newspaper,,,,,,,hell i am a mom and i have experience in babysitting and daycare...........i live in a small town also so not much here either so i am trying to imprevise LOL.

good luck

baby dustboy n girlKelsi, Preston, and Baby on Board. Single mom, Full Time mom, working mom, full time college student, one and only that runs the house, and all in all my kids say I am a great and wonderful mommy!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)