Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you call?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

ewww.

so, last week at my local walmart i bought expired yogurt. i took it back to exchange it and found ANOTHER expired package on the shelf UNDER the newer containers. i brought it thier attention.

i go in today to buy all my lunch stuff for the week. i was going to have fresh strawberries. i picked a package up, examined it and found MOLD growing on them.

how nasty and UNSAFE is THAT?? i didnt bother to check other packages and took that one straight to customer service.

i explained everything to the lady and she stood there looking at me like i was stupid. i then told her next time i find something like that in thier store i was calling the health department. she told me to hold on and paged the manager.

he called back, she explained the situation and he sent someone else to tell me it would be taken care of!

while i was standing there waiting another worker asked what to do with the berries... the woman i was dealing with told her to take them back to produce!!!! of course i interjected and said they had mold on them. THAT worker was disgusted and totally showed sympathy for my complaint while everyone else brushed me off.

grrrrr. so nasty! what if i hadnt checked? IM ALLERGIC TO MOLD!!

would you call the health department? i understand sometimes people have bad days and might miss something on the shelf... but... IMO 2 times in a week in 2 different departments in the store.... thats a bit much!!

~ We did not inherit this earth from our ancestors - We are borrowing it from our children ~

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
prestonjohn
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM

not a thing the health dept will do about it,,,it happens to any produce,,i find a bad strawberry alot, that is why i always check the containers,,it happens, and is not a health issue,,well to you because you have an allergy,,but im sure you have eaten bread that had a small mold spot and never knew it

ToriBabe1221
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM

to me there is a difference between bad strawberries and mold.

especially when the packages are open like they are and the moldy package is touching non moldy packages. that crap spreads!!

it IS a health issue. SOMETHING is not right in that store.. and it needs to be checked into before someone gets sick!

~ We did not inherit this earth from our ancestors - We are borrowing it from our children ~

Larsbug
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I have had that problem no end of times with Wal-Mart and I have actually called the health department in my state... now they send someone in once a week "undercover" to see how things are going, I also went to their corporate website and then sent me a $100 gift card...

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Well unfortunately places like walmart are just too big for their own good.  They don't catch stuff like that because there is just too dang much in the store to keep track of.  Expired yogurt probably won't hurt you unless its WAY WAY past its expiration and has been unrefrigerated for a long period of time (longer than a day).  Same goes for eggs, they can be eaten up to a couple of months past expiration with absolutely no problem.  However things like meat and fish, canned foods and milk you want to be careful with.  Also the mouldy fruits and veggies really get to me.  I have an issue with bad produce.  In the berry boxes there is almost always at least one bad one.  What I like to do is take all the berries out of the box, wash the box with half water and half vineger and also wash the berries in half water and vineger.  Then I gently dry them and back into the box and fridge they go.  That way I can get rid of the really bad ones, use the almost bad ones right away, and kill anything nasty growing on them with the vineger.  They stay fresh a lot longer that way too, and no they don't taste like vineger later. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

ToriBabe1221
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:11 PM

ooo vinegar? ive never heard of that before! thanks for the tip :)

Quoting norahsmommy:

Well unfortunately places like walmart are just too big for their own good.  They don't catch stuff like that because there is just too dang much in the store to keep track of.  Expired yogurt probably won't hurt you unless its WAY WAY past its expiration and has been unrefrigerated for a long period of time (longer than a day).  Same goes for eggs, they can be eaten up to a couple of months past expiration with absolutely no problem.  However things like meat and fish, canned foods and milk you want to be careful with.  Also the mouldy fruits and veggies really get to me.  I have an issue with bad produce.  In the berry boxes there is almost always at least one bad one.  What I like to do is take all the berries out of the box, wash the box with half water and half vineger and also wash the berries in half water and vineger.  Then I gently dry them and back into the box and fridge they go.  That way I can get rid of the really bad ones, use the almost bad ones right away, and kill anything nasty growing on them with the vineger.  They stay fresh a lot longer that way too, and no they don't taste like vineger later.

junecrab
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM

these people with customer service jobs whose personality is lacking any 'service' skills, sprinkled with a careless or 'poor me' attitude...YOU got one! yeah, FUN FUN FUN,  (walmart bingo)

call?  ..if you continue to find items and it keeps being ridiculous hell yeah.

nice tip with the vinegar. at the mom and pop groceries especially but even at smiths i check expiration's....you get home with bad stuff a few times, you make it a habit to look.

smile on

junecrab

..let the lovers LOVE...

and the haters HATE...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)