• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this too much food?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM
  • 21 Replies

My cousins son is 11 months old.  He weighs 28 lbs. He is not walking yet but does pull up and crawl.  However he cannot stand very long.  I know all babies develop skills at different rates, but I think my cousin and his grandma are feeding him way too much and maybe thats why he is not able to walk yet.  He gets 1 jar (the large baby food jars, stage 3) of fruit and 1 veggie or baby food meal in a jar for breakfast lunch and dinner, so that is 6 or nearly 6 large jars a day. He also eats vienna sausages and other tidbits of adult food at all meals.  To drink he gets 1 bottle of formula a day, and the rest of the day gets 2 % milk. I am not sure how much of that he drinks. And he gets a bottle filled with rice cereal at night before bed to make him sleep through the night.  That just sounds like too much food to me.  I know my kids are weird and eat very little so its hard for me to tell.  When both my dd's were his age they weighed half what he does and if I could get them to eat 1 jar of babyfood a day I felt lucky.  They ate finger foods as soon as they could figure them out and from then on didn't want to be fed by others.  They were breastfed and didn't get cows milk until after a year old and then they got whole milk as well as breast milk. Personally I think he should be drinking more formula than he is getting, what do you think? Oh, and they also move him from one lap to another or one baby keeping device to another (swings, saucers, playpens, etc.)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2LiamNMolly
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Actually, he should be off formula at 12 months...

My Molly is 11 months and this is what she has in a day:

Breakfast - 6oz yogurt

Bottle - 6oz Formula

Lunch - mashed avacado or 1 stage 3 jar of Earth's Best

Bottle - 6oz Soy Milk

Snack - Gerber Puffs or Grated Cheese

Bottle - 6oz Formula

Dinner - 1 stage 3 jar of Earth's Best

Bottle - 6oz Rice Milk

Bottle - 6oz Formula with Rice Cereal

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

Larsbug
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM

sounds like too much actual food and not enough milk with it... or even diluted juice

Ilovemyson51508
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM

No that doesnt sound to much when my son was 11 months he was eating 8 jars  breakfast lunch dinner and 2 snacks of baby food sometimes less but for the most part is what it averaged and 4 bottles a day of whole milk he was off forula at 11 months and still sanked all day but thats my son he a big boy he is 12 months now and has teeth now so he really dosent get jars anymore maybe two a day but he eats every two hours now and eats real food and he is 39 lbs but he dosent look it i say feed the baby waht he wants even if it seems alot cause he may be going through a growth spurt you never know but i definatly think he should be getting some water or waterd down juice more liquid!

kylesmommy2008
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM

awww for some reason your son reminds me of mine! ;o)

Quoting Ilovemyson51508:

No that doesnt sound to much when my son was 11 months he was eating 8 jars  breakfast lunch dinner and 2 snacks of baby food sometimes less but for the most part is what it averaged and 4 bottles a day of whole milk he was off forula at 11 months and still sanked all day but thats my son he a big boy he is 12 months now and has teeth now so he really dosent get jars anymore maybe two a day but he eats every two hours now and eats real food and he is 39 lbs but he dosent look it i say feed the baby waht he wants even if it seems alot cause he may be going through a growth spurt you never know but i definatly think he should be getting some water or waterd down juice more liquid!

onecuteladybug2
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Unlike an adult, a baby will stop eating when he is full. As long as his doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't worry about it.  Bringing it up to your cousin more than once will just cause family strife, been there, done that...

MILF062207
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

Unlike an adult, a baby will stop eating when he is full. As long as his doctor isn't concerned, you shouldn't worry about it.  Bringing it up to your cousin more than once will just cause family strife, been there, done that...

No offense but thats not 100% true.  My son still doesn't always stop eating when he is full and he's 16 months.  Sometimes he gets himself so full that his tummy gets all bloated and hurts him. 

Anyways, I think it is wayyyyy to much food for his age.  2-stage 3 jars per meal?  WOW!  And only milk in between?  Yea he needs to be drinking water, maybe a little bit of juice during the day and not just milk.  My son is barely 23 lbs right now and always eats a lot.  I don't think he should be 28 lbs at 11 months but thats JMO!

Wiifeytype1025
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:42 AM

His weight will depend on a lot of things... his birth weight for example if he was 10-11 lbs at birth, they say they should double their birth weight by 6 months and triple it by 1 year. So like my son - he was born 10 lbs 6 oz. Dr wants him to be around 22 lbs at 6 mos and around 33 lbs at 1 year. I mean, if he is less than that, that is ok - I'm sure as he gets bigger he will thin out some - but he's right now almost 3 mos old, 16 lbs and 27 inches long. He's almost as tall as my 17 month old! Of course he's going to weigh more than a 20 in long 3 month old... who was like 6 lbs at birth... know what I mean?

In any case, development and size aren't directly related. I would say you should be more concerned about the fact that the baby isnt given the time to be independent and learn to do things like cruising and stuff... if they are always holding him or have him in bouncer or swing or w/e...

Also, after they start walking their weight should plateau... my dd was 24 lbs at her 12 month check up - started walking around 14 mos, and was only 25 lbs at her last visit last week.. (almost 18 mos) Babies walk, talk, etc. at their own pace.... don't sweat it... but you could encourage them to allow him some freedom to learn on his own - seemed to help with my dd.

Quoting MILF062207:

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

No offense but thats not 100% true.  My son still doesn't always stop eating when he is full and he's 16 months.  Sometimes he gets himself so full that his tummy gets all bloated and hurts him. 

Anyways, I think it is wayyyyy to much food for his age.  2-stage 3 jars per meal?  WOW!  And only milk in between?  Yea he needs to be drinking water, maybe a little bit of juice during the day and not just milk.  My son is barely 23 lbs right now and always eats a lot.  I don't think he should be 28 lbs at 11 months but thats JMO!

mlbrooks421
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Since when is an 11 month old suppose to be walking? I know that some do but, I believe average is 12 months. My son is 14 months and although he has been walking some for the past few months, until recently he still did a lot of crawling.

HuskerAmber
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Everyone is different. It doesn't sound like too much food to me. Some kids take awhile to learn how to walk. My DD started learning around 11 months, some kids take longer. I wouldn't worry just yet. My DD eats A LOT and her weight is normal for her height.

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

His weight will depend on a lot of things... his birth weight for example if he was 10-11 lbs at birth, they say they should double their birth weight by 6 months and triple it by 1 year. So like my son - he was born 10 lbs 6 oz. Dr wants him to be around 22 lbs at 6 mos and around 33 lbs at 1 year. I mean, if he is less than that, that is ok - I'm sure as he gets bigger he will thin out some - but he's right now almost 3 mos old, 16 lbs and 27 inches long. He's almost as tall as my 17 month old! Of course he's going to weigh more than a 20 in long 3 month old... who was like 6 lbs at birth... know what I mean?

In any case, development and size aren't directly related. I would say you should be more concerned about the fact that the baby isnt given the time to be independent and learn to do things like cruising and stuff... if they are always holding him or have him in bouncer or swing or w/e...

Also, after they start walking their weight should plateau... my dd was 24 lbs at her 12 month check up - started walking around 14 mos, and was only 25 lbs at her last visit last week.. (almost 18 mos) Babies walk, talk, etc. at their own pace.... don't sweat it... but you could encourage them to allow him some freedom to learn on his own - seemed to help with my dd.

Quoting MILF062207:

Quoting onecuteladybug2:

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I guess my kids are just really small then. So its hard for me to tell whats normal.  My dd is 19 months and 22 lbs and my other dd is just 5 and 34 lbs.  THey never ate alot of baby food.  I would sit them down in the highchair 3 or 4 times a day from age 7 months or so up and try to feed them but they would eat maybe a third of the jar of stage one and then they wouldn't want anymore.  We would just go though about 1 small jar a day with them until they figured out to eat finger foods.  Then they fed themselves.  They didn't like to be fed, and wanted always to do it themselves.  They were both pulling up at 6-7 months and walking totally independantly by themselves at 11 months.  My 19 month old has been running for months now.  They both nursed constantly and at about a year I started giving them both whole milk and diluted juice in addition to breastmilk.  I gave them baby cereals slightly before 6 months but they never liked that either.  I don't expect my cousins son to be walking yet.  All babies are different, its just that all he does is sits and eats.  He does nothing else. They constantly give him food in addition to baby food.  I think he maybe should be getting more formula or milk and substituting real foods for babyfoods, instead of giving him EVERYTHING.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)