• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when are they too old for a sippy cup?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is turning three next month.  During the day he does not have sippy cups but at night I still give him one with water because I'm scared a regular cup will spill, and for some reason this child has never liked the cups with the straws.  

My MIL says I should not give him a sippy cup any more for any reason but I don't see the harm  in him having one with water at night.  Its not that he won't and doesn't drink from regular cups - its just that in the middle of the night when he wakes up and wants water a regular cup would be messy.  Am I wrong should I take away his cup??

by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tweetyfan
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I dont see the big deal either .... 

butterfly_mom81
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM

any childs dentist even his doctor will tell you its ok as long as it has a non sugar drink in it..........your his mom so when you feel ready is when its time

MssBlckEyeliner
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I read your post title and thought I would share this w/ you-

I STILL USE THEM! I am a notorious glass breaker, drink spiller, etc. and as a joke some friends gave me plastic sippy cups w/ No-Drip lids.

THEY ARE AMAZING! and I use them w/ everything that could stain a carpet if I just so happen to drop it and the lids pop off lol. Mind I have dropped and tipped them sveral times and that has not happened yet :)

austinsm0mmy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Exactly my logic.  He does use regular cups but I always make him leave them on the kitchen table.  If he doesn't have a drink with him at night he will wake up in the middle of the night crying.  If I put a sippy cup of water by his bed he wakes up has his drink and goes back too sleep.  I'm planning on keeping this up as long as I can because the last thing I want is a little boy spilling water all over himself in the middle of the night - or worst spilling it on his bed.  I endure a 30 minute lecture from MIL about how sippy cups are for baby's and he is going too need braces because I still let him use one.

Quoting MssBlckEyeliner:

I read your post title and thought I would share this w/ you-

I STILL USE THEM! I am a notorious glass breaker, drink spiller, etc. and as a joke some friends gave me plastic sippy cups w/ No-Drip lids.

THEY ARE AMAZING! and I use them w/ everything that could stain a carpet if I just so happen to drop it and the lids pop off lol. Mind I have dropped and tipped them sveral times and that has not happened yet :)

my2munchkins056
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:35 PM

My DD is 3 1/2 and she still uses a sippy cup.  She uses regular cups when she's sitting at the table eating or whatever, but if she is running around playing or we are outside or out in the car or something, she uses a sippy cup.  My DS is 2 1/2 and he uses them too.  That's another reason my DD uses them when they are playing is because my DS will grab it and spill it or knock it over. 

Tammy

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 
1 Peter 4:8  angel mini

Look back and thank God.
Look forward and trust God.
Look around and serve God.
Look within and find God.

Tippidy2006
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM

My babies are 8 months and a year, so they obviously use them still, but my nephew is 5 and still uses one if he is in the living room etc where he could spill it. I dont want shit all over my carpet and hes the kind of kid who constantly wants something to drink. He DOES use regular cups for dinner or at the table etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)