• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 1/2 month old is so stuffy/runny nose he cant...PLEASE HELP **update**

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

Okay so last sunday he started getting the stuffy/runny nose which has never happened with him ever this was after being in MI for the weekend to visit family and didnt start until he was around my neighbor who has a cat. Well he couldnt sleep drink his bottles and cried a lot. I tried the saline drops and the bogger sucker thing is TORTURE to him, as soon as he sees it he crawls as fast as he can to get away from me and it takes myself and my dh to pin him down to help. Well Wed morning we started our drive from Indiana and 16 1/2 hours later ended up home in North Carolina. He was able to sleep proped up in the car, he was an angel other then feeding times. Well now that we are home the only way he can sleep is in his stoller all straped up and elivated or in somebodys arms but hes not little at all hes already 25 pounds.

I dont know what to do anymore, i dont sleep because im so worried he will stop breathing. I keep track of EVERY single pee diaper... What can i do to help him i cant keep doing this....

Well i took my son in this morning he does not have an ear infection, his lungs are clear but hes lost weight... in one week hes lost a little over 1 pound, and they could care less... i know my son is a little heavier however he is also 32 inchs long so he balances out im so pissed

Im a mother of 1 Phillip II, Married to my bestfriend Phillip for 1  1/2 years, Co Sleeping, breast AND formula feeding, pro choice, non spanking, selective vaxxing, non curcumsizing, If you dont like it tough because IM NOT changing.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afrw2007
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM

bump

Im a mother of 1 Phillip II, Married to my bestfriend Phillip for 1  1/2 years, Co Sleeping, breast AND formula feeding, pro choice, non spanking, selective vaxxing, non curcumsizing, If you dont like it tough because IM NOT changing.

HarleysMommy235
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

So, do you think he's got allergies from the cat? Get him some benedryl or zyrtec. He's old enough to take it. Maybe give him a warm bath with some of that vapor bath and then afterwards before bed time, but some baby vicks on his chest and maybe dab a slight bit under his nose. Other than that, thats all Ive got. If he keeps it up, take him to the doctor and get their advise. Good luck and I hope he feels better.

afrw2007
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Hes on 2ml of zyrtec a day as is... i do believe the cat started it but i think the drive thru the mountains finished him off. This is now day 4 hes fell asleep on my chest and he wouldnt even do that when he was first born.

His doctors told me dont bring him in unless;

croopy cough

drainage turns to a yellow or green

pulling of the ears

cries non stop for over 2 hours

bruice like rash anywhere on his body

ect....

How many kids really pull on their ears for infections though?

HarleysMommy235
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Maybe try the benedryl and see if it helps. My daughter took zyrtec daily and her body grew used to it and it wasnt working anymore-that could possibly be the case. I switched and it worked. then I didnt like how the benedryl made her sleepy through the day, so I just gave her the zyrtec as needed. Still works for her now and shes 3 now. Poor little guy-I hope he gets well soon. Tyty the bath thing also and maybe I humidifier to help him sleep easier.

bridey530
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM

honestly i would hold him as much as possible.  he's like my dd who is also 20 something pounds at 8 months old.  i know it gets really tiring but i would cuddle with some movies.  if he sleeps good in his stroller then awesome.  use that too.  maybe just make up little 2 ounce bottles at a time and see if you can get him to drink one every hour or so. 

a pedi nurse once told me that even though they scream like  the dickens when you use the saline and bogie sucky that the crying is actually good to keep their lungs clear.  also stand in the bathroom with the HOT shower running and the steam may help. 

i know it is scary but you need your sleep too.  i would put the stroller right next to the couch, make yourself comfy as possible and maybe even fall asleep with your hand resting on his tummy so you can feel it moving when he breaths. 

good luck momma.  if he gets a fever call the doctor back and INSIST on being seen.  they won't refuse your money.

modelmom04
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Get a humidifier and run it in the room as close to him as possible.  I would also bathe him in vapor bath like PP said.  If you put him in his bed then put a pillow under the crib mattress and that will help him to stay elevated.  I hope that your little one gets better.  That is about all you can do for him. 

mollycat03
by on May. 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM
I just went through this my son and it took propping his bed with phonebooks on one end, a cool air humidifier, and a vicks waterless vaporizer at night. The doctor had him on allegra and an antibiotic for an ear infection. He was not pulling his ears btw. If your worries take him in. I'm glad I did it with mine. I did the booger sucker thing sparingly (he hates it but it helps a ton in the morning). Letting his nose run run run while taking an extra long bath worked wonders too. It took a week and a half but he got better. Give it time. You're doing a good job. I hope things get better for you soon.
bz_mom
by on May. 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM

For a quick fix I have found steaming up the bathroom to work. We just play on the floor with her toys for awhile. I get it VERY warm in there, and have her only in her diaper. We run a humidifier every night(warm mist but a cool is good too). Kyndall went through a bad cold around that age. I had a few nights that she and I spent on the sofa together so she could sleep. I hope this helps.

good

tmhmom
by on May. 25, 2009 at 11:28 AM

You can buy childhood decongestants (like Dimetapp) over the counter in every state. Ask the pharmacist.

Steam helps, too.

If it keeps up, you may need to see the pediatrician.

The Mother

http://www.mothershandbook.net

emarin77
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Mom, you are doing everything right.  Just continue with the nazel drops, asperator, and keeping him laying up when he sleeps.  My son had a couple cases of bad colds too when he was between 3 months and 7 months.  He will be fine in a week or two.

Elizabeth Marin

Bridgeport, CT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)