Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have You or anyone You know Had Toxemia?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM
  • 28 Replies
If so how was it? what were the symptoms? anything and everything you can tell me will be much needed. My friend is due sept 25 and recently found out she has it and doesnt know anything about it. and all her doc told her was drink alot of water and exercise.
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trezmom
by on May. 25, 2009 at 2:46 AM

i did during my pregancy, just alot of  retaining fluids, you should avoid salt  and limit your fluid intake i went from 82lbs to 150lbs until i delivered.. afterwards i weighted 99lbs. most of it was water.. my doctor put me  on bedrest my 4th month ... talk  to your doctor...

mollycat03
by on May. 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM
I had it. I think he should get a second opinion. They don't even call it Toxemia much anymore. I was put on strict bedrest. Monitor blood pressure daily. Lay on your side to reduce weight on kidneys. Swelling that lasts longer than 24 hours is bad-go to the doctor.
mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I agree.  I had it or was suspected of having it with my 1st but before they could confirm it they decided to induce me because my blood pressure was up & on the rise.  With my 2nd I was seen by a high risk doctor & was fine until 35 weeks when after an NST I was being prepped for my c-section 5 hours later.  They usually call it Preeclampsia which means protein in the urine, excessive swelling/sudden weight gain, & high blood pressure.  In my 1st pregnancy I had a crappy doctor like that so I would definitely have your friend switch.  Plus, have her read up on it so she knows what to expect & what can happen.  Early on I think they'll put you on bedrest or try blood pressure medications.  If it gets too high they can put you in the hospital. 

My 1st was born at 34 weeks & I developed symptoms within a week. I'd gained about 10 lbs in a week & had excessive swelling in my feet and ankles, not a lot of protein in the urine.  My 2nd was born at 35 weeks & I had protein throughout my pregnancy but not enough for concern.  I had minor swelling but my blood pressure skyrocketed within 30 minutes.  Preeclampsia can turn into Eclampsia which is the worst thing to happen.  The only cure is delivery & it can turn into Chronic Hypertension like with me.  It can cause your placenta to not function as well & worst case scenarios are fetal, maternal death, or both.  I wouldn't play around with it at all.  My babies were born before confirmation because my doctors felt it was that serious.

Quoting mollycat03:

I had it. I think he should get a second opinion. They don't even call it Toxemia much anymore. I was put on strict bedrest. Monitor blood pressure daily. Lay on your side to reduce weight on kidneys. Swelling that lasts longer than 24 hours is bad-go to the doctor.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
mamaof32007
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:57 PM

If she had Toxemia she would be in the hospital having her baby delivered.  at the very laest be put on bedrest, I had pre e with my first son, they took him at 35 weeks, with my twins I had sever pre e and hellp syndrome they took them at 29 weeks.

1mom08
by on May. 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM
My aunt had it 13 years ago but didn't know she did she went into labor and the baby came out still born because they didn't catch it in time. But thats because back then the Doctors didn't know much about that kind of stuff.
1mom08
by on May. 25, 2009 at 2:03 PM
My SIL had toximia & preclampcia and they delivered her son at 26 weeks he only weighed 3lbs he is now 5 years old. They usually like to do something befor it can effect the baby.
mommy2cristian
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM

just wanted to say that's not true.  with my 1st i went to my doctor's appt. & had gained about 8lbs and had excessive swelling in my feet and ankles.  My doctor wouldn't even touch me & send me to L&D.  We went to a different one & the backup doctor was called.  When they did the urine test I had no protein because I was having trouble peeing.  I would drink but only have to go 1-2 times a day so the nurse gave me an iv then took the urine sample.  My pee was clear as water & while monitoring me my blood pressure was high unless I was on my left side.  The nurse told the doctor & he discharged me.  Told her to have me drink more water & elevate my legs even though I told him that I was drinking but nothing was coming out.  Plus, I couldn't elevate my legs because I had trouble breathing when I did.  After going to another ER & being sent home with a 24 hour urine kit I went back a few days later to a clinic with the same problems.  One doctor took one look at me & told me to go to L&D immediately and he was going to order tests to be done because I had all the classic signs of it.  They kept me & I had my son the next day after the steroid injections.  But that idiot backup doctor didn't even want to hear that I could have it. 

So I would say there are doctors that won't do anything.  As a matter of fact there were a lot of women when I was pregnant on the Pregnancy board who had it but weren't delivered until 38+ weeks.  They were on bedrest or meds.

Quoting mamaof32007:

If she had Toxemia she would be in the hospital having her baby delivered.  at the very laest be put on bedrest, I had pre e with my first son, they took him at 35 weeks, with my twins I had sever pre e and hellp syndrome they took them at 29 weeks.

mommytothree07
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM

I got it at the end I swelled up like a ballon!! you weren't supposed to eat salt and I couldn't keep myself away from Mc Donalds fries needless to say I was a beached whale.. I had it the last month.. I would go swimming a lot to help it because walking was horrible in july

ThinkTwice08
by on May. 26, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Be VERY cautious with cutting back on water. If you have a lot of toxins in your system reducing your water intake will only increase the consentration of the toxins. Also, water is very important for you and your baby during pregnancy,  so do plenty of research on that before you make any significant changes in drinking habits.

good luck.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

KeaganzMommy07
by on May. 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

Be VERY cautious with cutting back on water. If you have a lot of toxins in your system reducing your water intake will only increase the consentration of the toxins. Also, water is very important for you and your baby during pregnancy,  so do plenty of research on that before you make any significant changes in drinking habits.

good luck.

I never said anything about cutting back on water? i said her doc said to drink alot of water

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)