Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

just shareing information about bug bite vs. abscess

Posted by on May. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM
  • 1 Replies

last night i had to take my daughter to the doctor because she had what i thought was a huge bug bite.  it was red and swollen and feverish to the touch and hard and would not drain when i tried to get it to.  so me and my husband kept an eye on it last night and it ended up getting bigger so we took her in to the doctor.  well it turns out that it was not a bug bite at all but an abcsess (a pocket of infection caused by almost anything. infection, ingrown hair, splinters etc.)  they had to cut it open to drain it of all the yuck that was in there.  she is fine now and on an anti-biotic and we have to keep it clean and drained and bandaged.  but i just wanted every one to know the symptoms of these things because they can get very very bad.  if it looks like a bug bite without the usual white head in the center that is an indication it will have a blackish, brownish dot in the center.  if your child is in pain when you t ry to touch it and it is hard not soft like most bites and hot to the touch also  if it doesnt drain when you take the tiny scab off.  those are usually pretty good indications.  dont try to sqeez them to get the yuck out that can drive the infection even further into the skin and tissue and dont puncture it your self because you might risk hitting a blood vessle.  call your doctor and keep a close eye on it for 24 hours.  after that if it gets bigger take them to the doctor.  i just wanted people to know because if your like me you dont really pay attention to alot of bug bites because kids get them from just playing outside then well you know.... i felt awful after i found out what it was.  but im glad i caught it in time.  just trying to help people look out for things.   :) 

by on May. 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tiffanysgirls
by on May. 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Thank you for passing on the information. Sometimes somthing that seems so small can actually be or lead to something very serious! Well wishes to your daughter ;) I pray she heals fast!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN