Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not a serious car accident.. Would you get new carseats?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:16 AM
  • 16 Replies

I just thought about this and I don't know if it is stupid or not so I figured I would ask what others would do. I was in a car accident about 2 weeks ago where I was hit from behind. My kids were not with me and it wasn't that serious besides my bumper getting ruined and the side of my SUV got cracked. The carseats were in there but were not damaged what so ever. Should I get new ones anyway? Would I be able to tell if something went wrong with them? I just got to thinking about it because they say not to buy used carseats in case they were in an accident or expired...I would think that you would know if one was in an accident by looking at it and always wondered why people wouldn't know if they were in an accident. Now I'm concerned so does that mean that no obvious damage has to be seen for them to be ruined? Thanks. I want to know ASAP what to do because I will make the guys insurance pay for them if they need to be replaced.  

~Jackie~

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiredMommy6906
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:19 AM

I would check under all the padding and make sure the plastic didn't get any cracks in it first. If not, I think you are OK, but if you see anything at all, I would replace it. It's better safe than sorry.

rileysmommy811
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:25 AM

When I went to get my carseat checked, they told me if we were ever in an accident, even if DD wasn't in the car, but the carseat was, we'd have to buy a new one.

I'm not sure why or what happens

ZachNHannahsMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:31 AM

You need to buy new ones, sorry. Even a minor fender bender is considered an accident and the seats need to be replaced. You can't always *see* damage. The foundations of the seats may have been weakened and wouldn't hold up in another collision. If the side of your SUV got cracked, I would think that's not a "minor" accident. I know it's expensive to replace seats, but this is the safety of your children here. Check with your insurance company, some will replace seats. Like I said....just bc you can't see it, doesn't mean there isn't damage and I wouldn't risk it with my kids.

Caitlin10081989
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Any accident at all. I would buy new carseats just to be on the safe side. There could be damage to the carseats that you can not see and if you were in another accident they wouldn't be 100% percent safe. No obvious damage has to be seen for them to be ruined. It's better to get new ones then have a doubt that your kids wouldn't be protected.

jackiec7707
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM

Thanks mamas! I just called my insurance company about it and she said to let his insurance know that 2 carseats were in the car at the time of the accident and that they will go over everything with me as far as guidelines for getting them replaced. If they don't I will buy them new ones. It just honestly slipped my mind since it wasn't a big accident or anything. I have been so worried about everything else and my kids rarely get in the car so I just didn't think about it. They are coming to do an estimate on Wednesday so I will tell them then that I need new ones. (My kids will not be in the car by Wednesday) Like I said they hardly ever go anywhere because I am constantly working so we don't have free time during the day to go do things unfortunately. Thanks again :o) I swear I don't know how I even function anymore with so many things on my mind and constant stress.

kalio
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Sorry you have a lot going on mama! I hope things calm down for you soon and your stress lets up.
HUGS!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/102281/
                ms
we need to find a cure

jackiec7707
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Oh and I wouldn't ever purposely risk anything with my kids especially something so serious. That's why I asked because I wasn't sure if there was something to look for to know if your carseats were ruined or if it was just a given that they are no good anymore.. I don't know. They didn't move at all during the accident and I'm sure that's why it didn't even cross my mind until about an hour ago when I read an ad on craigslist from someone selling a "accident free carseat" lol.

jackiec7707
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Thanks! I appreciate it :o) It's always something..

Quoting kalio:

Sorry you have a lot going on mama! I hope things calm down for you soon and your stress lets up.
HUGS!

mamalinzie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM
  • NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate or severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.

• NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.

• Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

• The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

• The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

• There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

• The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

• There is no visible damage to the safety seat

I would also suggest you call the car seat manufacturer and see what they say.

Why does my toddler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

christina0607
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM
I would think no, especially since there was no one in the seats. They may have moved a bit, but with no pressure in the seats....as long as they were buckled in...they really shouldn't have moved all that much. I kinda think it's nuts that everyone is saying buy new ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)