Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to loose weight. I could use some advice from the "dieting" mamas...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have a few questions for you "dieting" mamas. What do u eat thru out the day? like what's an example of ur typical daily menu? What can I eat for breakfast that's quick & healthy? I dont have time to cook eggs or anything else healthy on most mornings. Also, what do u do for snacks? I snack all night. I'll eat a good dinner, but then I end up snacking all night until I go to bed. And what do u do to crave chocolate/sweet cravings? I know it's alot of questions, but I'm new at this. Thanks ladies!

busy momCrystal  margarita time
*Single, working, loving mom to Madison - 3 1/2 & Danny - 19mons

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mishel73
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM

I am doing something called the "Abs Diet" and it's really great.  I had my DD in Sept. of 08, gained 38lbs while preggo and have lost 53 lbs since having her (so I am 15lbs lower than my pre preggo weight).  I am not trying to rub anything in, just trying to let you know that this diet works for me.  It's just changing your way of eating for life, it's not really that much of a "diet", or does not feel like one.  Lots of fiber, wheat, flaxseed, protein, exercise.

My typical day (when I am in a hurry) of eating is:

Breakfast:  Quaker Oats Fiber Cereal Bar and some kind of fruit

Snack:  Yogurt (fiber one)

Lunch:  Turkey, lowfat cheese, spicy mustard on a whole wheat tortilla or pita

Snack:  Handful of almonds, or some more fruit

Dinner:  Pizza on whole wheat boboli, with fresh veggies (green pep.,  onion, garlic, etc.) and low fat mozz cheese.  You can do grilled chicken, veggies, etc.

Snack:  Fat free ice cream, fruit, etc.

My biggest problem was portions.  I started by slowly cutting down my portions.  Even though I was eating healthy I was eating too much.  Just gradually cut down your portions.

Dannee
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I lost 19 pounds on low carb, low sugar..

I started  out doing the Adkins Diet and lost the first 10 pounds.

Then I started to crave bananas and orange juice so I told myself that I could do it my way.

I still eat low carb, hardly eat bread....but when I want something sweet I will control myself and have something little.

For breakfast I have usually 4 egg whites with cheese...yummy

For lunch I will have a salad with ham, cheese, olives, with olive oil and vineger.

For dinner I will have chicken, pork, steak, etc...I do not eat the rice, the potatoes, etc..

For snack, I will have fruit, nuts, anything low in carbs..

I was a carb whore, I love sweets and love sugar...

I have made this my life, so when I get the desire for chocolate or cakes etc..

I do not deprive myself of it...I eat less of it..

I also workout for 1 hour every other day....

This will be the last time in my life that I will ever gain 30 pounds and lose it again..

Because I am never hungry, I will eat if I am hungry....

I do not count fat nor do I count calories...I count on myself!! ::))

darbie2008
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM

i slowly cut stuff out ...first month i stop drinking soda secound month i added the no sugar unless it was fruit sugar  also i drop anything with fake sugars in it nothing with aspertine(sp) most fat free or low fat stuff has that in it and  it acts badly in your body  and i make sure i eat a healty fiber filled breakfast helps me cut down on the snaking during the day i also started walking at least thirty min a day and getting my heart rate at 130 or above for that whole thirty min  now im up to running a mile and speed walking another mile

brandi185
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM

for me it's a little different because i had an eating dissorder from the age of 13 to 17 and i still strugle with it.  i was terrified to eat in front of other people even family.  so i just didn't eat.  i got pregnant at 17 and realized i didn't care who was watching me eat because i needed to feed my baby.  now my body chemistry is messed up.  so i have to focus on exercise and actually eating.  but i have cut out a lot of stuff.  no soda unless it's made with real sugar not that fructose stuff.  pepsi throwback is awesome and i hope they keep it on the market.  we only buy dibs ice cream because it makes it easier to limit how much ice cream i eat.  i bought smaller plates i think they are salad plates so we don't fill them up so much.  the center circle of the plate went from being 8 inches wide to 4 or 5 inches wide.  it really helps with portion control.  we don't keep food any where else in the house like candy bowls and stuff.  we eat dinner, load the dishwasher for the morning and turn off the light and leave the kitchen.  don't bring a bag of chips and jar of salsa or dip to the sofa put a little dip or salsa in a small bowl and chips in a cereal bowl.  i mix cashews, peanuts, raisons and m&m's to make my own trail mix.  my boys and i snack on that.  i have the jar of trail mix on a table with one of those dixie cup dispensers with 3 oz size cups in it.  apples with peanut butter makes a great snack.  for breakfast i either have a bagel, a bowl of cereal like life or mini wheats or a bowl of oatmeal.  for lunch i have salmon (chicken of the sea brand can be found with the tuna) with crackers and cheese.  i hate the texture of sliced bread.  then for dinner i make a lot of different stuff.  i don't ever use ground beef i use ground turkey breast.  i try to buy a lot of my groceries on the outer wall.  convience foods like hamburger helper or premade soup is not good for you.  my only convinience vices are instant mashed potatoes, microwaveable bacon and on ocasion those hormel roasts that only need to be microwaved.  instead of snacking after dinner grab a good book and chew a piece of gum.  gum is my best friend.  i have a chewing fixation and will chew on just about anything and it makes me want to snack a lot so i just shew gum.  i love orbits bubblemint.  exercise is very important.  you can walk, bike, dance, use a video, etc.  i am getting a kick and punch bag.  i like to turn on the music on my computer and jam out.  i hope i was some help.

mamad122
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Go to myfitnesspal.com and create a profile with your personal weightloss goals. It will give you a calorie limit. Log every bite you eat through the day and try to keep it in that calorie limit.

Don't drink soda, little juice, and LOTS of water!!
Count calories
Eat lots of fruits and veggies
Do NOT eat after 7 pm! Your body stores everything that you do not burn, so if you eat and eat while you're resting and then go to bed it's only making it worse.
Snack on carrots, fresh fruit, popcorn, 100 calorie packs of cookies
For desert I keep Special K Choclatey Delight on hand or 100 cal cookie packs

They are now saying that it's not the "diet" that you follow but counting the calories that matter.

As far as breakfast, try a whol grain bagel with a slice of cheese- super easy and super fast.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Icons

momoftwo0720
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I was 170 after i had my second. That's fat to me because i am so short. I started with my drinks, i went to diet everything and that makes a differents. I also cut down my portions, and my sweets. I don't eat anything after 6:00pm. And if i crave something sweet i eat cereal. I don't really have time to exercise i just get outside with my kids and run around with them alot. I weigh 140 now and i am hoping to lose 10 more pounds. Good luck!! 

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I have lost over 120 pounds:)

Here is a typical day for me.

Breakfast:  Fiber One Bar, Coffee with Fat Free Half and Half and Splenda and maybe also a piece of fruit (I typically grab a banana--high in potassium..so good for dieters and your heart!)

Lunch:  Boca Burger (no bun) or Half a Grilled CHicken Breast with a Small Salad and One Tablespoon of Dressing OR Yogurt and 1/3rd Cup Organic Granola (not both obviously.....either or...)

Dinner:  1/2 of An AVocado, a Serving of CRab Meat, A Sliced Roma Tomato and a Fruit Salad

Snack:  Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich OR SOme Granola OR some sweetened organic cereal or a 100 cal pack of whatever...

That is a really typical day for me.

I keep a daily food journal.  hELPS ME SEE WHAT  I am eating and where I need to do better.  THree of us cafemom peeps journal on my homepage. If you are interested, send me a friend invite and we can share ideas, tips, journals.

erin_suzy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I eat to just maintain my weight right now & I also do some workouts from this article because I like this better than others I've done.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/gabbyguide/11596/bikini-body-in-2-weeks/

For breakfast I either have an chololate Instant Breakfast shake, OR a bowl of cheerios- no added sugar, OR two whole grain waffles with a pat of canola butter and sugar free syrup. (I like to mix it up because if you eat one thing it gets boring)

For lunch I take one pita bread cut in half, fill each side with one serving of turkey, add alfalfa sprouts and 3 cherry tomatoes quartered. (cucumbers optional) I am not bored with this- you would not beleive how filling it is! And it tastes fresh. I am also looking for the perfect blueberry shake recipe because blueberries are full of antioxidents. I drink lots of water.

For dinner I eat regular meals, usually because that is the meal I eat with my hubby and he does not diet. Sometimes a meal-in-a-box, somtimes I make it. Usually a meat with steamed veggies and another side dish.

Good luck!

Lovey1234
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Take a Sudafed, the real kind, every morning. It is mildly speedy, and it will curb appetite.

sweetcherry_59
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I am pregnant right now and researching healthy ways to lose weight for after. I have found this group pretty helpful. You should check them out http://www.cafemom.com/group/dietingmoms

GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)