Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depressed- getting rid of sick cat

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
I am so depressed. MY cat is a diabetic, who is not regulated with his sugar and has been urinating all over the house and on my son's toys and clothes... I love my cat. I have had him for 8 years and except that he is sick, he is so sweet and purrs when he sees me... It is also a constant war at home with my husband because of my cat. The hospital where he has been receiving treatment is willing to take him and try to adopt him out. Supposedly they said that they will not euthanize him even if they can not find him a home. We are possibly looking to turn him over to the hospital this Friday. I am so upset and crying at work. I almost got hit by a car this morning. Did anyone else go through this??
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Sh3G0tH3rOwn
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM

with my old dog. he would walk around and pee. he just didn't know it. it was so sad. we dealt with it for a year and then we woke up and found him laying in a chair in a puddle of his own pee and we took him to the vet. we had to put him to sleep that day. it was so sad. he was such a good dog.

pregnancy

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM

When you say unregulated do you mean you have not been treating him or it's just been hard to get the right levels. I realize diabetic cats urinate more but they are also susceptible to bladder infections has he been tested for that. 

I am really trying to understand because i can not imagine getting rid of my animals for any reason.  I had a cat that would pee all over the house if she was not kept on a special urinary diet which was the only treatment for her issue of producing to many struvite chrystals in her urine.  I also had a cat that stopped using the box all together at the age of fifteen but i did everything i could to fix it which included putting her on drugs.   both of my cats died in 08 due to differant forms of cancer.

I am really not trying to bash you but Diabetes is a treatable disease so i really don't understand.  I also work with animals and have heard all the excuses so admittedly i do not have the patience for them anymore

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM

My golden was like that but she was also 16 years old.  She would be walkiing down the hall with no clue that she was going to the bathroom.  Her mind was already gone by the time her body caught up but it was the brain tumor that made the decision for us.

Quoting Sh3G0tH3rOwn:

with my old dog. he would walk around and pee. he just didn't know it. it was so sad. we dealt with it for a year and then we woke up and found him laying in a chair in a puddle of his own pee and we took him to the vet. we had to put him to sleep that day. it was so sad. he was such a good dog.

mom2chris07
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM
I also work with animals. Diabetes is a very serious disease that is not always able to regulate all of the animals. He had a urinary tract infection which I already treated him for. I have been through all of the expensive tests and I have spent a lot of money that I really didn't have to spend... I would rather give him up and maybe he can find another home, than euthanize him.
KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I never said it was not serious, i said treatable.  I also said that i know it can be hard to regulate sometimes. But why put your problem on someone else if he is hard to regulate and pees everywhere due to the infections.  The most humane thing you could do for him is to euthanize him.  I know its not any easy thing to do but if i was in this situation i think it would be better then letting him sit in a cage for who knows how long.  There are good people out there willing to take on a cat like this but they are few and far between.  I thinks it cruel to make him go from a loving home to a cage.

Quoting mom2chris07:

I also work with animals. Diabetes is a very serious disease that is not always able to regulate all of the animals. He had a urinary tract infection which I already treated him for. I have been through all of the expensive tests and I have spent a lot of money that I really didn't have to spend... I would rather give him up and maybe he can find another home, than euthanize him.

raerae1011
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:27 AM

when i still lived at home all the pets we had at the time had health problems.  our one cat had diabetes for 7 years before she passed away...more from old age since she was 16.  the other cat that my parents still has had bladder problems where he would keep getting blockages.  and the dog we had at the time was epilleptic.  they were all on medications at one time.  we gave our cat that was diabetic insulin shots twice a day everyday.  yeah her sugar levels fluctuated so we would just change the amount of insulin we gave her.  the cat that had the bladder blockages ended up getting a surgery to give him a pee hole that was before the blockage.  and the dog that was epilleptic he was on phenobarbitol up until he passed away.  i'm sorry but when you get a pet, you have to be aware that there could be medical issues.  and if you can't handle them, then you shouldn't have a pet.  i'm sorry but that's how i feel.  i understand it's hard to care for "sick" animals, but all they want is the people who love them to care for them.  besides insulin and syringes aren't that expense, i should know, i work at a pharmacy.  ohh and please don't go and get another animal, cause that would just be hypocritical.

Nanna22
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM

This is one of my many pets. Her name was Sadie.She was a Dauc/Chi mix. 15 years old - full of arthritis and many other issues. We had her on meds to help with all of it, then in Feb of this year she had a stroke.  We nursed her for a week - brought food and water to her (wouldn't eat, drank very little), carried her outside and held her as she tried to use the bathroom.  We chose to put her down -it was a tough call.  The Vet told me that I had no right to do this - she said take her home she'll get better - I stood me ground as hard as it was - the vet was fired that day because of her treatment of me and Sadie.   We still miss her very much, she was my lap dog.   We also have a 16 year old Cat her name is Queen Elizabeth (Lizzy), because she does rule in this house.  She is a diabetic (has been for 5 yrs) - she get a unit and a half twice a day.  She has adjusted very well.  When her dosage doesn't help anymore and we have to start an increase, depending on how high the increase - we will make our decision then, besides the fact that she is 16 and may not last many more years. It will be just as hard for me to put Lizzy down as it was for me to put Sadie down, but you have to think about them - not you!!  So I do know how you are feeling and my heart goes out to you!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)