• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got Restraining Order on BIL..

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM
  • 4 Replies

My BIL is certifiably insane and has been Baker Acted on several occasions by police. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with him and it's everyone else.

Since his ex-wife and everyone has changed their phone number due to his harrassing phone calls, he's now calling us and leaving voicemails that he's going to kill my husband and hurt the family.  Calling us devil worshippers, cannibals and so on.

A few months back, he left two voicemails and we sent him an email. Two nights ago, he left 6 v/mails. Yesterday, throughout the day, he left another 6 or so and last night another 4.

He does own an arsenal of weapons and carries one with him. He states that Obama got him out of the psych ward the last time and that Obama visits him.

Since his wife divorced him about 10 years ago or so, he thinks everything's a conspiracy and everyone knew she was a whore and a prostitute (which is untrue) and the no one told him.

That he's helped us buy 3 houses (another misconception). He did help us with the down payment on the first house, which we paid him back for and the other two, we bought on our own.

Needless to say, yesterday, we filed a police report since he lives 2 hours away from us and he threatened the family and stated that he passed by our home two days ago. 

The police officer heard one of the messages. He actually called while the officer was here, so the officer expedited the report and came back with a filed copy so we can get a TPO on him asap.

We're sure it's mostly talk because he gets drunk and during a full moon flips out even more and calls EVERYONE in the family. He's been doing this for years. Even sober (if that's ever possible) he calls.

Our intention is to have all the guns taken away from him and hopefully, in the longrun BAKER ACTED permanently in a ward. Don't know if that'll fly though. We live in Florida and so does he but he used to live in California and gets benefits for being crazy.

He does have a paid off house in Florida and some trailer trash druggy chick lives with him. She's such trash that something happened between her 16 y/o daughter and my BIL (not sure what) that the girl moved out and went to live with her grandmother, who tried to file molestation charges against him. He wasn't arrested or anything so don't know if it's true. YET, this mother has a younger daughter still living there.  She just wants the house and we think she's blackmailing him or something but don't know. At first we cared and wanted her out but NOW, we really don't care, yet my husband wants to have him committed and her kicked out so he can give the house to HIS (my BIL's) kids.

Has anyone had any similiar experiences?? There's something here called the Marchmen act but I haven't read up on it yet..

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Piscean
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but here's a bump. I hope everything turns out ok, I can't imagine living in fear. Good luck.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Thanks. We feel we have no choice and believed it would come to this one day. 

He makes stories in his head and thinks everyone is conspiring against him.

Honestly, with 2 Autistic children, busy with business and everything that's going on in our lives, why would we even get involved in his nonsense or bother conspiring against him? He's just not that important and there's nothing for us to gain from it.

He just starts with people out of the blue. For years, my husband was the ONLY one that would talk with him out of 5 other siblings. There are 7 in total.  He's even got it in his head that his parents molested him.  They may not be the greatest parents but I doubt that was the case.

My husband doesn't own a gun but he said that if he did come by, he would easily just kill him and put him out of his misery because he's not going to get better and there's no telling what he's capable of.

He thinks he's been CIA, FBI, Mafia, and the list goes on.  Truthfully, even the Secret Service has called my inlaws about threats he's made against President Bush.

iluvmommyhood58
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:34 AM
Well, I can tell you that harassment isn't legal and what he's doing can be defined as harassment. I think you're doing the right things, filing reports. I'd call the cops every time he threatened me or claimed to have been in my area. Make sure everything is documented. Perhaps talk to the d.a. I think you could probably file charges. A lot of states have very clearly defined harassment laws. I know my state does (MI) and harassment, in itself, is a serious crime.

Obviously he's crazy. That's certainly not an indication he's any less dangerous. You say it's mostly talk because he drinks a lot. That's a mistake to think that, I believe. Never underestimate people, don't make excuses, don't blow anything off because people are capable of a lot. Personally, I wouldn't threaten him or anything, but I'd take steps to make sure I could protect myself and my family. I'm just not a big fan of waiting on the law to do it for me in a sticky situation.

P.S. What you're describing about his mental state sounds a lot to me like paranoid schizophrenia. My aunt lived with that and people who suffer from that can absolutely be dangerous to themselves and others. (She killed herself a few years ago.)
GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:47 AM

I agree with you  iluvmommyhood58, which is why we're filing charges and trying to get him off the street.

As it goes, harrassing calls are considered a MISDERMEANOR and he's allowed to drive by and do anything he wants as long as he doesn't hurt anyone.

A restraining order takes 24 hours so until it's service or approved, they can't arrest him and if they do, they will hold him for 30 days tops.

Someone who wants to hurt another wont care about a restraining order.  Which is why the officer made a point to tell my husband that if he shows up, to feel free and protect himself with any means necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)