• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

monetary rewards for good grades????

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you give your kids money for good grades in school?

do you think it is right to do so?

what about the school itself giving money to kids for good grades?

for me and my kids, no, no and no! we may get them a toy, but no money. My goal is for my son and ss to get the good grades b/c that is what is required of them by me and the school! for my kids to do this on their own. and the school giving money? umf...they raise the taxes on my house, by way of leveys, b/c the schools are broke, but hey, lets give the kids money to boot for something they should already be doing! crazy! ( I seen this topic on the news, btw)

what are your thoughts?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raerae1011
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:09 AM

my son isn't in school yet, but i'm sure i will "reward" him if he does well.  what's the difference of giving them money or buying them a new toy?  seems like the same thing to me cause what will most kids use what money they have for anyways.  now on a school giving kids money, i don't see how any school around here would do that but i don't think that they should do that.  now on the other hand, i do think it's ok if a teacher rewards the whole classroom for good grades by getting them a treat of some kind like pizza or ice cream.

Lillylou
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I don't pay them for good grades. They know that good grades are expected. Now my parents have been known to give money as a reward for good grades. During the school months I feel that my children's "job" is to get good grades. They are responsible for their grades and keeping their rooms cleaned. They rarely have chores when school is in session. Now with that said, I do support kids having occasional tasks around the house on the weekends and during the summer. I do NOT support the theory that children should do all the chores at home. I know a few moms that sit on their butts and bark out a chore list for their kids while they do NOTHING to help. 

SheHoldsTheKey
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Well, I homeschool, and we don't really get "grades".

But as my daughter gets older, I plan to give her a weekly allowance with the stipulation that her responsibilities are taken care of. This will include keeping up her schoolwork, keeping her room straight, and a few small household chores.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM

No, no and no.  My children are exceptional high achievers.  They get many awards for their academic achievements,  Those can be their "reward".  We treat academic excellenmce as something expected, not something you get "extra" for.  It is what is expected.

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM

While 'good' grades are expected (B's and above) I will probably give a dollar for ever 100+ or something similar. Why not? That's their JOB. In the real world when you do exceptionally at your job you get rewarded for it (raise, promotion, etc)... why not offer a dollar for an A+? They don't HAVE to get 100's... but they work towards what makes them feel good, and children feel good when they're rewarded.

Hoping for BLUE

SxyPanamami83
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM

i see nothing wrong with all it is is extra motivation to do good. i will give my daughter money for good grades, why?? because she worked her ass off to get it. thats like saying you need to lose weight but cant treat yourself to anything when you lose 10 pounds because oh its your job to lose weight.

asoldierswife85
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I was rewarded as a child when I got good grades, and it was incentive for me to keep the grades up. I had the ability to achieve by myself, but when there is a reward, I was more prone to do it.

My Grandfather was the one who "inforced" the "rules" for the grades. For mid term grades, I got 5 dollars for a C, 10 dollars for a B, and 20 dollars for an A. Then for report cards, I got 10 dollars for a C, 25 dollars for a B, and 50 Dollars for an A. Needless to say, there was incentive to get the higher grades for the higher pay out.

My grandfather would hang on to the money until the Summer and give it to me in a lump sum, and I could spend it on whatever I wanted.

It was nice feeling like I had "earned" something. When my kids get to school age I will do this for them as well.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
mamad122
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM

We are going to homeschool our children so I doubt we reward them for their requirements but we will do something fun at the end of the school year or something. And no, I don't think the school should give kids money unless it's like a competition and they do prizes or something?? It's nice to encourage kids!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Icons

RebekahsMommy06
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM

We got rewarded for getting good grades while I was in school as well. We got 5 dollars for every report card that good, meaning the best of our ability. Our local movie rental store also allowed you to rent a free movie for an A/B report card so that was VERY cool. It was an incentive to work hard. As for those who say that good grades are expected, yes they were...but there were a lot of times when i worked my butt off and could only get a C (such as in math) so to get a reward for all my hard work made the struggle seem bearable. As people have said, school is a child's job. Would you go to work every day and put in your best effort if you didn't get paid every week or every two weeks? I wouldn't. So why epect your child to? This is still a debate between my DH and I, but my daughter's only 2 so we still have time. I do think I will reward her tho for doing her best. And I also don't see any difference between a new toy or 5 bucks in cash.

Andrea

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

darbie2008
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:45 PM

i never was given money  for my grade if i did good b or above i got ungrounded ...i dont know what im going to do with my son he is not even a year yet but i know grounding didnt work for me so i will have to come up with something but im not sure about money since he will be getting an allowence for doing chores and such

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)