Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleeping habits changed? ADVICE PLEASE.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM
  • 13 Replies

My baby is 7 months old and is breastfed. She has slept through the night (getting up once occasionally) for quite a while until this past week. For the past week she has been getting up 2, 3 even 4 times. She does nurse a little when she gets up, but not much. When she wakes up, her crying seems a little more urgent that usual. No fever, no runny nose and I don't feel any teeth. She has started crawling in the past few weeks and is getting better and better daily. I remember with my oldest that when she was doing something "new" she would have a hard time getting to sleep but I don't recall her waking alot at night. Any ideas on why this might be happening, suggestions on her getting a better nights sleep. Thanks Mommas!

moms rock

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Proudmommmieof2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM

bump

bnasmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for the bump!

Melamma
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM

My daughter did that! She slept through the night from the time she was born till 3 months old. then she hit 3 months old and started getting up every 2 hours to nurse. No joke. she has ben 100% EBF since she was born. I was told growth spurt or teething or both.

She just started sleeping pretty much through the night again and she's almost 14 months old.

I dunno what to tell ya girl. Your baby might just be teething or going through a growth spurt. My daughter went through a growth spurt at 7 months.

Good luck! I know how it feels. Hope you get sleep soon!!!!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

sstepph
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM

My son was like that when he was getting ready to hit a milestone and pop a tooth through! He's going through this now waking up, but he started walking today.. so Im guessing that maybe it and he popped 4 teeth through in a matter of a month!

All I can say, is it'll pass. Or it at least did with my son. He's been like that for a lil over a month, but like I said hes been cutting teeth like crazy.

Maybe she's gonna hit a milestone!!

Handsome Little Boy
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

ksinclair
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM

My son did the same thing.  He was bottlefed, so I don't think the form of feeding has anything to do with it.  He wouldn't wake up to eat.  It didn't last very long.  I was told that it was most likely due to a mixture of teething (even though you can't feel the teeth, they're still starting to come through), growing "pains", excitement from all the new things he's learning & a bit of seperation anxiety.  Just make sure that you have a consistant night time routine, her room is comfortable, rub her legs before she goes to bed & unless she really throws an awful crying jag of over about 5 minutes, just let her soothe herself back to sleep.

CafeMom Tickers
bnasmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Thanks!  I was thinking it could be any or all of those things.  I will just have to let it pass.  We normally let her soothe herself back to sleep but now when she wakes up she really screams!  But when I get her she seems fine.  She nurses a little and then I put her back down.  It is really only about 15 minutes she is up.  

ksinclair
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Quoting bnasmom:

Thanks!  I was thinking it could be any or all of those things.  I will just have to let it pass.  We normally let her soothe herself back to sleep but now when she wakes up she really screams!  But when I get her she seems fine.  She nurses a little and then I put her back down.  It is really only about 15 minutes she is up.  

I started out automatically giving Jacob a bottle when he would wake up & we started a vicious cycle of him waking for that little drink, so I had to quit giving him his bottle when he woke up unless it was a "normal" feeding time.  Trust me, that was an ugly little habit to break.  LOL

CafeMom Tickers
ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Milestones can definitely interrupt sleeping habits. Also, a lot of babies naturally change their sleeping patterns at around 6 months old. I would suggest googling baby sleep training methods to get her back on track.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

bnasmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM

So what did you do, just rock him back to sleep or hold him?  I have tried to not feed her b/c I was scared I would get her in a habit of eating when she didn't need it but she would act like she was starving so I did it...

Quoting ksinclair:

Quoting bnasmom:

Thanks! I was thinking it could be any or all of those things. I will just have to let it pass. We normally let her soothe herself back to sleep but now when she wakes up she really screams! But when I get her she seems fine. She nurses a little and then I put her back down. It is really only about 15 minutes she is up.

I started out automatically giving Jacob a bottle when he would wake up & we started a vicious cycle of him waking for that little drink, so I had to quit giving him his bottle when he woke up unless it was a "normal" feeding time. Trust me, that was an ugly little habit to break. LOL

ksinclair
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Quoting bnasmom:

So what did you do, just rock him back to sleep or hold him?  I have tried to not feed her b/c I was scared I would get her in a habit of eating when she didn't need it but she would act like she was starving so I did it...

Quoting ksinclair:

Quoting bnasmom:

Thanks! I was thinking it could be any or all of those things. I will just have to let it pass. We normally let her soothe herself back to sleep but now when she wakes up she really screams! But when I get her she seems fine. She nurses a little and then I put her back down. It is really only about 15 minutes she is up.

I started out automatically giving Jacob a bottle when he would wake up & we started a vicious cycle of him waking for that little drink, so I had to quit giving him his bottle when he woke up unless it was a "normal" feeding time. Trust me, that was an ugly little habit to break. LOL

I actually just went in, tucked him back in, patted his back & let him know that he was "safe" and that it was still sleep time.  If he started to cry, I just let him cry it out to soothe himself.  If you don't believe in CIO (which I thought was horribly cruel until I was "forced" to try it), or I believe you said you had another child that he is waking up, then just leave her in bed, pat her back & don't talk to her.  If you talk, sing, pick her up, you are teaching her that she can keep waking up in the middle of the night & you will give her conversation & company.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)