Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kindergartener will starve! (advice please)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi Everyone,

My 4 ½ year old daughter will be entering kindergarten this September and, while we are both excited about this big step, I’m worried about her eating habits. She is a VERY SLOW and PICKY eater. She refuses to feed herself (especially since her little brother was born last year) and takes about 1-2 hours to eat at each meal. I try to give her the most nutritious meals possible (without skimping out on fat and carbohydrates) and make sure that the portions are suitable for her age and size. She is slender but not too skinny, and it has takes quite a bit of effort, patience and TIME, every day to get her to finish her food (or at least eat half) to maintain her healthy weight.

Ever since she was a baby I have had a hard time getting her to gain weight. Her pediatrician and daycare providers both recommended that I give her high carb /high fat foods and try to get her to finish and I’ve been following their advice ever since. But now that she is going into kindergarten she will be served breakfast and lunch and given 20 minutes per meal to feed herself. I certainly would LOVE to have her feed herself independently and within the allotted time frame. But I’m afraid that she will have a very hard time adjusting and will lose out on learning due to lack of concentration on account of her empty stomach.

I have tried many things in the past to get her to eat faster and by herself, but nothing has been effective so far. If you’ve ever gone through this sort of thing with your child before, and have successfully transitioned them to eating independently and fast, please respond urgently. I have to get her transitioned by the end of the summer! Thanks to all in advance for your advice.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prestonjohn
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM

have you had her throat checked out,,maybe she cant swallow good or has a narrow throat and she has to eat slow,,,she wont starve to death and you can always get her up early and have her have breakfast at home

Hondagirlracr
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

She may change her eating habits once she sees the other children eating. Sometimes school can change your children. Make them a little less dependent on mom. I'm sure it will work out.

CullenLover
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM

get a timer and explain in  school she wont have alot of time to eat.

i know in my ds's school they will take the tray from the child regardless if they are done which is cruel imo, there are times ds comes home and tells me they didnt let him finish his lunch.

swizzlefiz
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:24 AM

DD starts kindergarden in the fall and I'm worried about that too.  She doesn't take that long to eat and she feeds herself, but I'm worried about only 20 minutes and also that she'll have to open whatever i send for her.  We are praticing this summer.  I've started setting a timer at lunch and making her do all the opening of things(like juice) herself.  That way I'll know for myself that she is ready.  Good luck

momaloveof3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Well for one stop feeding her.

Make sure there is nothing medical wrong with her.  Then stop feeding her.  Tell her she needs to feed herself and if she don't then she doesn't eat.

She will eat when she is hungry.  Maybe get some of them pediasure or carnation instant breakfast for her for her nutrients.

MAyers
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I'm sure when she sees the other children eating then she will. good luck though.

strawberrycakes
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I suppose it would be helpful to also mention that she is attending preschool and eats lunch with the other childen. When I pick her up in the afternoon and ask her what she ate at lunch her usual replies are "Ketchup," "one chicken nugget," and "Nothing." I've observed her eating with the other children and can tell you that they all eat while she picks and plays with her food.

momaloveof3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Put the item in to baggies that she can get into.  That is what I have done with my dd.  Or get some small dishes with cover for her too use.  For cold lunch of course.  Practice with the juice box or get her a little thermos like thing that she can open easier.

Quoting swizzlefiz:

DD starts kindergarden in the fall and I'm worried about that too.  She doesn't take that long to eat and she feeds herself, but I'm worried about only 20 minutes and also that she'll have to open whatever i send for her.  We are praticing this summer.  I've started setting a timer at lunch and making her do all the opening of things(like juice) herself.  That way I'll know for myself that she is ready.  Good luck

peanutsmommy1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I agree with the others, you are enabling her by feeding her. You have the summer to prepare her, you have to put your foot down and stop feeding her, and she will have to do it for herself or be hungry.

Becky

momaloveof3
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Quoting strawberrycakes:

I suppose it would be helpful to also mention that she is attending preschool and eats lunch with the other childen. When I pick her up in the afternoon and ask her what she ate at lunch her usual replies are "Ketchup," "one chicken nugget," and "Nothing." I've observed her eating with the other children and can tell you that they all eat while she picks and plays with her food.

Maybe pack her a lunch with the foods she likes.  That school food doesn't taste the best.  maybe she doesn't like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)