• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Need Some Advice.....Please

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM
  • 14 Replies

My son is 11 months old and his eating habits have changed over the last month. He wont drink his bottle very well anymore.....is there any tricks I can do to get him to finish his bottle?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
logiemommy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

IDK if this will work for you or not. But with my Neice , my SIL had to start putting her BM in a sippy cup at 10 months. For some reason my neice refused the bottle ,but would get her milk from a sippy. May be he is trying to tell you he is a big boy now,lol!

mamad122
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Is he still on formula? I would try switching him to cow's milk

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Icons

AppleDaisy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM

My dd started to refuse a bottle at around 11 months too. Try using a sippy cup and see if that works.

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
Abuela09
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM

OHHH, he might be letting you know he's growing up. There are several things to consider at this age:

1. he's growing up and needs to upgrade from bottle to cup.

2. is it milk or juices he's refusing? consider changing to regular milk and if at all possible try organic milk...they need all the vitamin D and good calcium they can get at this age for teeth, bone, hair, skin, etc.

3. consider reading a book called How to get kids to eat great and love it! by Dr Wood.

http://www.kidseatgreat.com/about.htm   she's one of the top doctors in the nation.

4. make sure you are giving him a multivitamin that is supplementing the nutrition he's not getting. I use the multivitamin Dr Wood's recommends, Usanimals. I get them from a friend that sells them and I LOVE them.

Best wishes on your decision.

jlsmith1862
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I agree with the sippy cup thing. DS started refusing his bottle around 11 months so I gave him a sippy with milk. Didn't take long and he had that thing figured out and loved it. I do recommend that if your LO likes to bite the nipple of the bottle that you don't use the soft top sippies. When the LO bites it they open up a lot and the liquid comes out quickly causing them to either choke, gag, or just make a huge mess. GL.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:50 AM

If he's on cow milk, try adding vanilla, chocolate or strawberry mix to it. Some kids just don't like the taste of plain white milk.

We buy Almond Milk with Vanilla for our kids and they love it. Similar nutrients but healthier than cow milk.

BRey28
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Thank you ladies for all of your advice. He does really well with juice and water in his sippy cup. He's still on formula at this point.......has anyone found it hard to go from formula to cows milk? I will try putting his formula in a sippy cup for him and see if he likes it better.

momoftwo0720
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:21 AM

That's how my daughter did when she was that age. He is just telling you he don't want that bottle no more. Start taking the formula away from him and giving him cow's milk. And don't make him finish the bottle, he knows when he is full. Good luck. 

mamad122
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I haven't switched my daughter yet but I did read you should start with 1/2 formula 1/2 milk so that may help

Quoting BRey28:

Thank you ladies for all of your advice. He does really well with juice and water in his sippy cup. He's still on formula at this point.......has anyone found it hard to go from formula to cows milk? I will try putting his formula in a sippy cup for him and see if he likes it better.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Icons

BRey28
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Thank you!! Geez, sometimes I feel like an idiot!! Hahaha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)