• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use hand sanitizers? FDA Warning...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM
  • 6 Replies

FDA Warns Against Using Some Skin Sanitizers

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Associated Press: The Food and Drug Administration warned consumers not to use skin products made by Clarcon because of high levels of disease-causing bacteria found during a recent inspection.

handsanwarn270.jpg

Getty Images

Clarcon Biological Chemistry Laboratory Inc. of Roy, Utah, issued a voluntary recall of some skin sanitizers and skin protectants marketed under several different brand names, the FDA said in a statement.

Consumers should not use any Clarcon products and should throw them away, the FDA said Monday.

Analyses of several samples of over-the-counter topical antimicrobial skin sanitizer and skin protectant products revealed high levels of various bacteria, including some associated with unsanitary conditions, according to the agency. Some of these bacteria can cause opportunistic infections of the skin and underlying tissues and could result in medical or surgical attention as well as permanent damage.

Examples of products that should be discarded include Citrushield Lotion, Dermasentials DermaBarrier, Dermassentials by Clarcon, Antimicrobial Hand Sanitizer, Iron Fist Barrier Hand Treatment, Skin Shield Restaurant, Skin Shield Industrial, Skin Shield Beauty Salon Lotion, Total Skin Care Beauty and Total Skin Care Work.

The FDA said its findings, following a recent inspection of the Clarcon facility, are particularly concerning because the products are promoted as antimicrobial agents that claim to treat open wounds and damaged skin and protect against various infectious diseases. The inspection uncovered serious deviations from FDA's Good Manufacturing Practice requirements, the agency said.

Calls to Clarcon for comment Monday night were not answered.

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rachie7987
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Interesting. I don't use hand sanitizers. I would much rather wash my hands for 30 seconds with regular soap.

Mami9207
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I always use hand sanitizers when I'm on the go in public places with no bathroom around; thanks for this post! I will be sure to not use that kind. =)

SuthrnPrincess
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the post.. We use Germ-X..

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Washing your hands is more effective anyway.  When my daughter was in the NICU they told us that most of the time, while outside, driving or coming in from outside and you use hand sanitizer, you basically spreading the dirt and germs around on your hands.  Now, if you're inside an establishment (hospital/nicu as an example) and you wash your hands, and touch some stuff, then use the sanitizer, it's more effective.

~Jill~

MAXnBRYCESmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Exactly one of the reasons we don't use hand sanitizers. That and the fact that hand sanitizer has majorly contributed to the evolution of stronger, resistant germs.

VerucaSallt
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I used to be SOOO against using hand sanitizers but with Jacob's auto immune disorder I have to.  I only buy Purell, though.  Thanks for the post.

I am a "I don't summarize my parenting style in a paragraph because it's none of your business" mom of 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)