• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diagnosed PPD at 7 months...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

My DS is 7 months old yesterday. Since he was born I have had terrible thoughts. Imagining so many bad things accidentally happening to him. To the point of paranoia. I couldn't even leave him with DH for an hour to go to the grocery store. I have been away from him for 2 hours MAX and that was because I had to go to the doctor. I seriously was so scared of SIDS he slept in my room- in a bassinet- until he was literally too big and it was too dangerous to do so any more.

I have been moody and overly sensitive, my DH can't even joke with me without me totally freaking out! Like yelling, screaming, freaking out! I knew it was BAD when DS didn't wake up when DH and I were Screaming at each other, and he was in my arms! I knew it was even worse when he was awake and on my hip and I'm freaking out and DS starts laughing!!

But even then, I thought it was DH.

Until last night. I was giving DS a bath and had a terrible thought. So bad I called DH to come get him from me for DS's own safety. I cried and cried. I knew that there was something wrong with me then!

Today I went to the doctor. They considered hospitalizing me! They decided to medicate me first, counceling me once a week and go from there. They only decided to do that because I had taken the right steps to fix it right away.

At this moment I am thinking that I am a terrible mother and a worse wife. Why oh why is this happening?? How could I think what I thought? How has my DH been dealing with me being nearly insane and blaming just him?

Ladies I need some help.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Getting help was the best thing you could of done. PPD is scary. It is not your fault, having a baby is stressful. So many women struggle with PPD and never get help. I definitely had bad thoughts, even recently(My youngest is 5 months.) It doesn't help that my insurance won't cover anti-depressants that work. Just know you are NOT a terrible mother... You'll get through it and you will feel better. You need to have a break from mommy hood or you will be miserable. Trust your husband to care for your baby and go get your hair or nails done. I know it is hard but you WILL feel better!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

WilliamsMama08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM
  1. You are not a bad mom!!!
  2. Be glad you have such a wonderful man to be by your side!
  3. Try to think of what you are going through as purely hormonal it might help.
  4. KUDOS FOR YOU GETTING THE HELP YOU NEEDED!!!

You are doing the right thing.  You may have had thoughts, but you did not act on them.  PM me if you ever need anything!!  I can be a good listener :)

Edit:  Along with the treatment your doctor has prescribed, ask to have a hormone panel.  See if maybe they can do some hormone rehabilitation along with what they have prescribed.

elwalters77
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Honey, you are not a bad mommy or a bad wife!  PPD is NOT your fault!  I had it too, but was lucky enough to be diagnosed at my 6 week check up.  You are doing the right thing by getting help.  Don't beat yourself up about it.  Just get better and take care of yourself.  Hugs

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mommamixon
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Hang in there honey,  Adding a baby to the mix is a stressful situation.  I am very proud of you for getting help.  That takes courage to admit when you have a problem.  Know that it will not last forever.  I have also heard that the medicines can make you get even more emotional when you first get put on them it takes a while for them to get into your system.  I don't know that for a fact but just watch out and prepare yourself.   I agree you should go out and do something by yourself or with your loving husband.  let him have some baby time you might be surprised he might even enjoy it.  and it will be good bonding time for him and his baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)