• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should my daughter be in preschool?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am a stay at home mom of a 3 year old.  She has never been in daycare so I am curious.  When do kids go to preschool?  Do I have to pay for it?  Does she even need it?  I'm asking because the only preschools I have seen are in conjunction with daycares and i know daycare isn't free.  Any information would be helpful. 

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hannahsmommy321
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:43 PM

depends on your area you have to call and check with the schools you have. here we have to pay for 3 yr old preschool its not free till they go to 4 yr old kindergarten but IMO a child dosnt need preschool they can go to kindergarten at 5 JMO

CafeMom Tickers

MommyOnLI
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:45 PM

at least by me, most kids start pre-school at 2 years old and its for 2-3 days a week 2 hours a day, and yes you have to pay for it, unless you are low income and qualify for headstart.

my DS will be starting pre-school in sept and he turns 2 in August...

he is going for 3 days a week but the state pays bc he is autistic.  if he was not on the spectrum, he would be going to a reg pre-school 2-3 times a week and i would be paying about $1200 a month for the one i wanted to send him to

pre-school is great for socialization and preparing them for kindergarten.  i feel its  a MUST for a child, thats JMO

tiffanysgirls
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM
most cities/towns have PreKindergarten or 4 year old kindergarten (K4) which is covered by the state and part of normal school ciriculum. I strongly suggest K4 to make sure your child is at pace with their peers. In our area....anything before K4 is out of pocket. They have a local Teddy Bear School for children 2-3 yrs (2 hrs 3 times a week) and that costs $75 a month.

I was really amazed at how much they teach in K4....by the time my daughter "graduated" she was starting to read.
marina069
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:46 PM

my oldest dd went when she was 4, i wanted her to have one year of preschool before she started kingergarten, just for the idea of getting used to teachers, classrooms, and alot of other kids, she was in daycare also but that was just a few kids, i plan on my youngest dd going when she is 4 also

Lauri, mommy to 2 princesses

Abuela09
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Check with your local school district for their school age requirements and schools in your area. Typically you start them at age 4-5 depends on their date of birth. This is a free service at public schools. There is a pre-k program that some areas offers it for 1/2 a day some for most of the day and they are in a daycare.

Anything below that age level it's a day care and YES you do have to pay. some parents choose to start them going to a day care 2-3 days of the week to get the child threw the adjusting process early to avoid drama later on.

It's good that you are starting to consider and researching.

Good luck!

Hisservent
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

well the answer to that is totally up to you.  I worked at a preschool for 5 years and yes parents had to pay for it. It depends on where you go. Childcare centers/daycares have preschool classes for ages 3-5. Just shop around and find quality. If you really want her in a learning environment and around other children, then I'd say go for it. I am a SAHM with my 2 1/2 year old and I don't plan on sending him to preschool. I MAY take him to preK a few days a week when he's 5 cause he won't go to kindergarten til he 6 because of his birthday, but I want to spend as much time with him as I can. Plus I teach him at home now...have been since he was 16 months old, we have set times during the day where I sit with him and teach him stuff. (thats the teacher in me) I just feel that parents need to be the teachers first especially during the early years.

All I have, all I am, all I ever will be, is because of you, Lord! I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live. Jesus Christ now lives in me! I am a 100% pro-life, wife, church goin Christian, choir singin, recyclin, natural products usin, vaccinatin, non co-sleepin, CIO method usin, soy milk drinkin, organic milk givin, coffee drinkin, dog lovin, schedule stickin to, vitamin givin/takin, soy candle burnin, as Green as I can get, WAHM. Celebrating 5 years of Marriage!!

Fairegirl33
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Here in Florida they have a VPK (voluntary Pre-Kindergarten) program.  It is free for every child in Florida regardless of income and offered in both child care centers, and/or in schools depending on area.  It has a certain curriculum that they must follow per the school board guidelines. 

It started back about 3 years ago, GREAT program here in Florida, both my girls went to Kindergarten actually reading.

This program didn't until they were 4 though, so you might be a bit early, for a pre-school program.  BUT, I would contact your local school board they will be able to assist you with your questions.

I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world.

Socrates, from Plutarch, Of Banishment
Greek philosopher in Athens (469 BC - 399 BC)

~Melissa 

lanceandhailey
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Our son can not start Kindergarted till he is almost 6 because of the age cutoff...so we had him in part time preschool this last school year (2 days a week for $88 a month). This next year he will be in the 4 year old preschool class for 4 days a week for free (even though he will be 5 for majority of it.) It was good to get him used to being away from me and interacting with different people. He learned to write his name and count and do ABC's....

diva9786
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:58 PM

You guys are awsome!  Thank you so much for the info.  I just didn't want to seem like a dumb ass when calling the school districts to inquire lol.  I am thinking on waiting until she is 4 because it seems pretty expensive, I mean the whole reason I am a SAHM is because we cannot afford daycare.  And she is pretty smart (I think) she knows her ABC's 123's, shapes and colors.  Its the whole change of listening to teachers and being in a classroom full of kids that I primarily am worried about.  Her terrible 2's turned into terribe 3's so she is very independent and defiant (sp) and I know that being with other kids she will want to play instead of pay attention and learn, so I want her to get used to the fact that school is not like going on a play date, she is there to learn and there are rules and she has to listen to her teachers.....again thank you. :)

swizzlefiz
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Wow, Texas must just suck!  We couldn't get free preschool through the school district.  Its only for delayed or low income children.  We couldn't pay the $400 a month so we skipped it.  I think I did a pretty good job preparing DD though. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)