• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im pregnant and have no insurance

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM
  • 36 Replies

I found out last night that im pregnant.I have been on medicaid before with my daughter but they dropped me.I have to go to planned parenthood Thursday to get a pregnancy test so i can get proof of pregnancy.Im just scared that i wont get insurance.Plus i found a dr but they want 200 for me to be seen and i dont have that right now.Im stressed out

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM

OK, I've read your other posts, and seriously, if you don't chill you're going to lose this baby to stress.

That aside, you don't NEED a doctor until about 10 weeks.  I had one once that didn't even really want to see me until I was about 15 weeks along. The ONLY thing they can do at this point is confirm your pregnancy. They probably won't even do an ultrasound until 7-10 weeks.

You need to apply for medicaid insurance. Wait for that to come through. Go get the presumptual (45 day emergency coverage) from the health department for just in case you have an emergency.

Really hon, I'm on my second baby right now. I didn't see a doctor until 15 weeks with my first and had a perfect pregnancy. You're freaking out, and causing your body to stress... which could hurt your child. Take your time, enjoy pregnancy. You have 9 months to get ready for this child. It takes 45 days to get insurance.

Hoping for BLUE

iluvmylil1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

you are right i need to chill..i just have so many things going through my mind right now.I just want everything to work out.

Quoting dosthepost:

OK, I've read your other posts, and seriously, if you don't chill you're going to lose this baby to stress.

That aside, you don't NEED a doctor until about 10 weeks.  I had one once that didn't even really want to see me until I was about 15 weeks along. The ONLY thing they can do at this point is confirm your pregnancy. They probably won't even do an ultrasound until 7-10 weeks.

You need to apply for medicaid insurance. Wait for that to come through. Go get the presumptual (45 day emergency coverage) from the health department for just in case you have an emergency.

Really hon, I'm on my second baby right now. I didn't see a doctor until 15 weeks with my first and had a perfect pregnancy. You're freaking out, and causing your body to stress... which could hurt your child. Take your time, enjoy pregnancy. You have 9 months to get ready for this child. It takes 45 days to get insurance.

Amberfire82
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

They will give pregnnaancy medicaid to just about anyone, you will be fine. I didn't get my first ob appt til I was about 16 weeks and I had a perfect pregnancy, everything was fine.

Go and apply for the medicaid and go see a dr when you get it. You and your baby will be fine trust me!

Oh and start taking your prenatals now that always helps.

Good luck!

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Everything WILL work out. Women have babies every day... you have to slow down though. It doesn't all have to get done RIGHT now, ya know? I know it kind of feels like everything is piling up on you, but by the time the baby comes you'll have it sorted out. Pregnancy medicaid isn't a hard thing to get.... there's a pretty high bracket that you have to fit into (I think with a family of 4 it's 3030 a month, which is a lot). It's not like reg. ins. Don't worry, everything will be fine. It takes an hour to go in and get the presumptual and then you're covered for emergencies.

Quoting iluvmylil1:

you are right i need to chill..i just have so many things going through my mind right now.I just want everything to work out.

Quoting dosthepost:

Hoping for BLUE

iluvmylil1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I have never heard of the presumpyual before.I just go to my health dept and ask for that?

Quoting dosthepost:

Everything WILL work out. Women have babies every day... you have to slow down though. It doesn't all have to get done RIGHT now, ya know? I know it kind of feels like everything is piling up on you, but by the time the baby comes you'll have it sorted out. Pregnancy medicaid isn't a hard thing to get.... there's a pretty high bracket that you have to fit into (I think with a family of 4 it's 3030 a month, which is a lot). It's not like reg. ins. Don't worry, everything will be fine. It takes an hour to go in and get the presumptual and then you're covered for emergencies.

Quoting iluvmylil1:

Quoting dosthepost:

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Yes. It's also kind of an indicator as to whether or not you'll qualify for regular insurance. You just go in and say that you need to get a proof of pregnancy, and presumptual (or emergency) insurance. They should be able to make sure you're pregnant and then qualify you, and you would leave there with a paper that would work as an insurance card if you had an emergency. DON'T FORGET that it's not permanent and you still need to get an appt. set up at Social Services.

Quoting iluvmylil1:

I have never heard of the presumpyual before.I just go to my health dept and ask for that?

Quoting dosthepost:

Quoting iluvmylil1:

Quoting dosthepost:

Hoping for BLUE

bg26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Instead of applying for medicaid, could you or your husband work a second job like at Walgreens? I think at Walgreens you only have to work 30  hours to get benefits. You could also see about payment plans to your OB. Midwifes are cheaper as well as birthing centers. There are many options.

Joeysmom6
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM
get your proof of pregnancy and apply for pregnancy medicade. Where I am, as long as you have proof of pregnancy and fit into their income bracket (I think it like 3000 a month for a family of 4) they cant turn you down (I dont know about the rules anywhere else though). Call them. Good Luck.
** I was told at 13 that I could NEVER have kids....At 18 I was on the Patch to regulate my periods and my DH and i used a condom EVERY time..... I still wound up pregnant.... this little boy that I am carrying is LITERALLY my miracle baby**

Photobucket
Jesus is cool........ its his "fan club" that sucks!
jessi437
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM

They will give pregnancy insurance to anyone

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Quoting bg26:

Instead of applying for medicaid, could you or your husband work a second job like at Walgreens? I think at Walgreens you only have to work 30  hours to get benefits. You could also see about payment plans to your OB. Midwifes are cheaper as well as birthing centers. There are many options.

Personally, I need doctors at my births because I have some medical problems... Idk if the OP does or not. Secondly, most private insurance companies, even those you get through work, won't cover pregnancy, because it is a pre-existing condition. Third, if they DID accept pregnancy they wouldn't cover her anyway because most of the time you have to be on that ins. for a year or so before you can get maternity coverage. And then when you DO get maternity coverage it has a deductible of at least 5000.

I have 10,000 deductible and my payments would be 550/month for 6 months. That's just the DOCTOR part. The 10,000 isn't even touching the labor and delivery and I'd have to pay the rest in 550 installments until it was paid off. We just had a major mortgage issue and our mortgage went up 100 bucks. We now can't afford to pay for this baby out of pocket (and yes we planned the baby. We did NOT plan on getting 100 bucks a month tacked onto our monthly statement)... We are getting maternity medicaid ONLY to cover the 10,000 deductible. I agree with her that she needs coverage ASAP, but only in case of emergency, and the quickest way to do that is medicaid. Nothing else is guaranteed, and I know when it comes to MY child I'm taking the guaranteed route...

Hoping for BLUE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)