Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe if it wasn't so DAMNED easy to take advantage of PA...

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

Nobody would! I went to the HD to get proof of pregnancy and presumptual insurance the other day. Yes I'm getting medicaid because we had some mortgage problems come up (100 bucks a month tacked onto our bill) and now can't afford to pay the deductible on my private insurance.

Anyway, every person I saw tried to sign me up for WIC!!! I kept saying no, I don't need WIC. I can PAY for food. It's fucking HEALTHCARE that's rediculous! Then the computers crashed and I had to go in the next day to pick up my insurance papers, and what did I get asked? Are you SURE you don't want to apply for WIC? LIKE THEIR FREAKING PROMOTING IT!

I started to say, what? Now we just have the money to hand out to people who CAN afford to buy their own food? Because I've already told you people I don't need WIC. I played nice though and just said no.

Seriously though, if every form of PA wasn't offered to you when you went in for just a LITTLE bit of help, maybe people wouldn't take such advantage of it. Idk, just your brain twister for the day I guess.

Hoping for BLUE

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amberfire82
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM

When I went to get medicaid 4 years ago no one asked me to sign up for WIC or anything else. Actually it was a major pain in the ass to even get medicaid but I had to do it I had no job, no insurance, nothing.

I think they just want pregnant mothers to be healthy and WIC is supposed to promote nutrition and health so maybe thats why they kept asking you.

And in all the times I have had to get any type of PA, it sure wasn't easy for me - long lines, long waits, rude people, rude workers, etc.

fcangel9
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I dont think its that easy everywhere... and they dont like helping men at all who are single parents... my DH had a horrible experience trying to get assistance with our son. 

lawla
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM

well if you need medical why not take wic? I'm not being nasty but they give good stuff for you now and your baby later. Do you know how much formula cost? I used to pay for it until I got smart and wic isnt welfare total different rules, I would take it.

1sonand3angels
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Ummmmm sorry but I would have taken it! What your to good to take some milk, eggs, cheese, cereal and juice? But you will take medicaid? That doesnt make sense to me!

OK this is how I see it! Why dont you take the WIC and save the money you would have spent on milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, and juice and pay your $100! Then "WE" dont have to pay for your medical bills!! Since you wanna be so ugly about people trying to help you!!

Besides WIC is based off a federal grant the more people they help the more money they get.

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Quoting lawla:

well if you need medical why not take wic? I'm not being nasty but they give good stuff for you now and your baby later. Do you know how much formula cost? I used to pay for it until I got smart and wic isnt welfare total different rules, I would take it.

Honestly? I'm not against PA in any way at all... but I feel bad enough taking the medicaid. I just have to have it and that's the bottom line. I don't HAVE to have the WIC, KWIM? I can pay for milk cheese and cereal on my own. I'm doing it now just fine. I know it's not welfare, and I would hope anyone who needs it can get it, but I simply don't.

Idk here they get you in and out pretty quick and they're pretty curtious for government employed workers. The lady I was talking to was really sweet.... just REALLY pushy.

Hoping for BLUE

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I know what you mean.  My SIL who has made a carrer out of being on PA is always calling me and telling me about yet another program they told her she can be on to get even more money from the system!  She didn´t know it existed but they told her she might as well apply for it since she is eligable.  It about kills me everytime she tells me ¨I don´t need it but I can get it so why not?¨

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 

For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Oh don't turn this into a PA debate. I'm frustrated with the fact that I see a "I hate all people on PA" post daily in here, yet I go to get a little help and am being pushed into help I don't need. Milk, eggs, cheese and whatever isn't 100 a month hon, Idk where you're shopping.

Quoting 1sonand3angels:

Ummmmm sorry but I would have taken it! What your to good to take some milk, eggs, cheese, cereal and juice? But you will take medicaid? That doesnt make sense to me!

OK this is how I see it! Why dont you take the WIC and save the money you would have spent on milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, and juice and pay your $100! Then "WE" dont have to pay for your medical bills!! Since you wanna be so ugly about people trying to help you!!

Besides WIC is based off a federal grant the more people they help the more money they get.

Hoping for BLUE

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM

In my state if you get medicaid you automatically qualify for WIC. You have to go to the health dept and apply for it seperately, but you're automatically approved once you apply.  Same thing goes for the baby. If he/she's on medicaid, he/she automatically qualifies for WIC.

With me, they offered to put through an app for food stamps when I applied for medicaid, because you apply at the same office. They figure it just saves time and hassle for both you and your caseworker to apply for both at once.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

dosthepost
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM

EXACTLY! I feel that just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. And I don't NEED it. Healthcare is crazy expensive, and while I knew that, crap happens and quite a bill came up. I needed a lot of help with my first and I wanted to do this one on my own, and those were my plans. I had everything in order. Ready to pay for it. And up comes this bill... 100 a month doesn't seem like much, but if I don't have the WHOLE 550, or any left after, what's the point... KWIM? I can't do this on my own AGAIN and that's disappointing, but I CAN feed my own family.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I know what you mean.  My SIL who has made a carrer out of being on PA is always calling me and telling me about yet another program they told her she can be on to get even more money from the system!  She didn´t know it existed but they told her she might as well apply for it since she is eligable.  It about kills me everytime she tells me ¨I don´t need it but I can get it so why not?¨

Hoping for BLUE

kids4ever515
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I would be mil-kin everything they offered. I never had assistants. I would have taken it.  I have two boys, My youngest is eighteen months. I thought about going up there my self just to try to get Wic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)