• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stupid question about breast cancer

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have a silly question. I have a lump that has been in my breasat for quite some time now. I hesitated getting it checked out, but yesterday I finally did go. Now I have to have an ultrasound and then it'll have to come out. The doctor didn't give me too much information other than the ultrasound has to be done as soon as possible. She kept saying we can worry about the future when we get there, or something like that. This doctor is pretty laid back and she seemed concerned. So here is my silly question..is breast cancer painful? This lump has been hurting for some time now. I assumed it was because I stopped breastfeeding a year and a half ago, but the other breast doesn't hurt. I didn't really get concerned because I felt the mass, but it felt like my breast was going from empty feeling to solid feeling and was going back to post-breastfeeding normal feeling. I went in because I felt a lump under my nipple area that felt like a bean. I assumed that was something to be concerned about, but she said it was a milk duct. She said cancer does not feel like a bean, but didn't tell me what cancer does feel like. She was rushing me out the door, telling me not to worry. She had that concerned "you poor thing" look in her eyes. So does anyone know what breast cancer does feel like? Is there any tell-tale sign, like pain or a specific consistency? I am trying not to stress, but it's all I can think about right now.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Abuela09
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Most of the time I have hear that it's a silent disease, you rarely feel "something". I suggest you first look at the information here  http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp  then consider researching your family history. this is more to educate you and be prepared to start a medical family history for future generations to come. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in USA, next to heart attack.

The doctor might have looked at you "poor thing", because she might be thinking you are not well informed of the disease...don't pay too much attention to this. Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. There are many ways for you to improve your health to take a preventive approach. I read a book called "breast cancer" by Dr Ladd McNamara. I like he's approach so much I use the products.

Best wishes on your search for better health.

Buggy979
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Ok let me just say that my MIL just died in November from Breast cancer and YES IT CAN  BE PAINFUL. It all depends on if the tumor is on a nerve in the breast tissue area. I believe this is what my MIL oncologist said if you take your arm bend it and then rub your elbow if it feels like that in anyway then you need to get check because it could yes be a tumor. Tumors do not move only cysts or milk ducts. Any more question feel free to ask me I spend almost every waking moment with my MIL for three years. First you need to have someone come with you to the apt and when you get the results DO NOT DO THIS ALONE!!!

prettygirlsmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

yes, my husband will be with me during the ultrasound and i am hoping nothing will be found, or at least nothing will become of it....even if it's a benign tumor then I weill still worry that there are more tumors to come in the immediate future. It scares me that I didn't really feel this one. I thought it was nothing, but the doctor seems quite concerned. I still can't really figure out what I'm feeling. I have no idea! This is toooo scary, I must say. It was a milk duct that brought me in to the doc, so that milk duct God's way of getting me into the doctor? Was it his way of telling me something? If so, he better give us the strength to get through this! I live and breate my husband and kids, they probably want their mother to be there for them, not sick in bed with breast cancer! Ugh, I think I hate this!!!

onecuteladybug2
by Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 2:30 AM

My MIL was diagnosed last year after feeling a lump. She told me that the lump was not painful, but decided to have it checked out anyway. After they did the mammagram, ultrasound, and biopsies, it was determined that she has one cancerous spot on one breast and a benign spot on the other. The lump that she felt was the one that was benign. She opted to have a double mastectomy. Thankfully, she did not have to undergo radiation or chemo-therapy and is mostly doing well now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)