Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some help about whether or not to press perjury case against CPS

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I pursue this?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

I need some advice and some opinions on what I should do. Since September of last year we have been dealing with CPS. I had horrible postpartum depression after my second. I started treatment right away. I think within a month- April- of having my baby. I also put them in a special daycare so that they would not have to deal with my depression. Then in September, my stepdaughter's mother called and told them I made threats against her daughter and my own- which was not true but I didn't expect anything less from her. CPS didn't do anything at first. They actually told us that they were closing it in January, but then in February called and said they needed us to do a whole list of stuff that had nothing to do with anything mentioned in their report. We got a lawyer and things escalated. We proved in court that the caseworker committed perjury at least 10 times on major things, and were going back to court so that we could subpeano my doctors so that the judge could feel comfortable about everything in a week. Basically they told the judge that because there have been other mothers who killed their children while going through postpartum psychosis- even though those women never received treatment from a doctor and I had- that the same thing might happen because I had postpartum depression. They even said that it was not me so much as other women who have done this.

So we got a call from our lawyer this morning and CPS decided that they were not going to pursue our case- after taking us to court, us having to pay $5000 for the lawyer, us paying for a $2500 psych eval. They are going to just drop it completely- not needing the psych eval or anything from the doctor. So we are very excited because we are done.

My one question is this should we go ahead and pursue perjury charges? I am glad that it is over, but I just wonder if they did this to me who else could this caseworker do this to. I was lucky because my family (not me but them) have the money to pay for a good lawyer and for all the out of pocket stuff that we paid for. What would someone who didn't have those kind of resources do if she lied about them and if I do pursue this will it really help anyone else? Please explain a no too if you can. I just want to make an unbiased decision and I can't think of how not pursuing this will be a good thing for anyone.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing?  Then whence cometh evil?  Is he neither able nor willing?  Then why call him God?" -Epicurus

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nessy1980
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I personally think you should persue it. because Ive heard of kids living in crappy situations and CPS does nothing. and then when you do something minor they are all over like ants on sugar. Ive seen it to many times.

aapye
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM
You can pursue it but it will not do you any good as CPS is above the law and can pretty much do as they please
jlsmith1862
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I say persue it. Maybe it would at least make CPS in your area open their eyes a little. Hopefully that woman that put you through all of that will lose her job so she can't do that to anyone else.

I would go for them no matter what. I have no faith whatsoever in CPS because all I have seen in my area is a bunch of crap. Like PP stated, they jump for no reason, but ignore the real stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)