Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Credit mistakes: how to repair it fast

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

My husband and I were on the verge of buying a house when we found several mistakes on both of our credit reports. It is prevent us from qualifying for a loan. It's very upsetting because these are legitimate mistakes. I pay my bills on time, in fact I've paid off almost all my credit card debt over the last 5 years. I thought I was golden.

Anyway, one incident specifically could push us over the minimum if we get it fixed. A former apartment rental company claims we owe them final utitilities. When we left the complex we DOUBLE checked that we were all paid up, and they assured us (verbally) that we were. Now, a year and a half later, we find out they've been reporting us to the credit bureaus monthly and it's killing my credit for over 100 points. They claim to have sent us ONE bill, which we did not receive - our mail was forwarded. It was sent to a collection agency who ALSO did not contact us. We haven't received a single written notifcation and no phone calls, so we were completely unaware of the debt. Both parties claim to have contacted us, but we know it's not true!

We are trying to get this fixed quickly, but both the apartment company and collection agency won't budge - they won't write letters to the credit bureau and won't agree that it was a BIG mistake. If I had known I owed them some measley utilities, I'd have paid them!

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Know any lawyers you can run this past? I live in the state of Ohio. I called legal aid today and all they will do is send me a "packet" about how to fix my credit. We are SO upset and fear we will lose the house we put an offer on. PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

pregnancy calendar

Non-vaxing, home-birthing, public extended breastfeeding, lactivist, intactivist, anti-CIO, anti/spanking, pro-choice, agnostic WAHM to Aiden (10/30/07), prego with number 2 (11/09), and wife to Jason.
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyofa147
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM

We went throw this and still are and it been 4 months and are just about done and are going to try again. It going to sound funny by our real estate  told of to call a abstract company and they helped us by putting all the info in the computer and it ended up being his mothers dete. so you can try that i don;'t no if there going to help you or not just trying

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM

At this point to get rid of it quickly you will have to pay it but make sure you get a letter stating the debt is paid.  I woud demand they send that first before you send in the payment because they could potentially not send the letter.    

lilyrose73
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM

You need to send a letter to each of the 3 credit bureaus disputing the information that is incorrect.  The peole who say you owe them money have 30 days to prove to the credit bureaus that you owe the money, if they don't/ can't it will get taken off of your credit report.  We had to do this a few times... in fact, you can pull up your credit report and dispute the information online.  Everyone in the US is entitled to one free credit report a year.  I'll find a link for you.. be right back :)

lilyrose73
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

This is a site run by the Gov.  (not to be confused with freecreditreport.com which is not free lol).  They passed a law a few years ago that gives 1 free credit report a year.  You can do all 3 reporting agencies an dispute online.  Good luck!

Abuela09
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM

first you want to get your credit report for each company.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

review everything and whatever you find there that you feel is wrong you write a letter indicating you are disputing the report/claim. by law they most respond to you with the information of the the information. this is not a quick fix, unfortanetely...but it's a learning experience.

this happened to me in 1999 when I purchased my first house in the states. the lender took an explanation letter and the loan was approved. continue researching, you'll find an answer to you issue.

Best wishes.

tanya_marieh
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Good luck, this happened to me and my credit dropped from 725 to 680 something I was so pissed.  I had to pay 40 dollars and no one contacted me either.  Plus I wasn't the only name on the bill yet they came after me.

vanillaeclare
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Thanks for your help. I have already written these letter however I hesitate to send them. We actually DO owe the money, so that's not the issue. The issue is that it's been silently destroying our credit and we weren't made AWARE of the debt. I thought there was some law in place that forced creditors to contact you a number of times before they can send it to collections/report to a credit bureau. We have received NO such notice, to this date. In fact, they claim they DID contact us, but they didn't. It's a case of he said/she said. ?

Quoting lilyrose73:

You need to send a letter to each of the 3 credit bureaus disputing the information that is incorrect.  The peole who say you owe them money have 30 days to prove to the credit bureaus that you owe the money, if they don't/ can't it will get taken off of your credit report.  We had to do this a few times... in fact, you can pull up your credit report and dispute the information online.  Everyone in the US is entitled to one free credit report a year.  I'll find a link for you.. be right back :)

pregnancy calendar

Non-vaxing, home-birthing, public extended breastfeeding, lactivist, intactivist, anti-CIO, anti/spanking, pro-choice, agnostic WAHM to Aiden (10/30/07), prego with number 2 (11/09), and wife to Jason.
ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I agree. Unless you want to actually pay the bills, this is the best way. Even if you paid them, it would probably take more time than disputing it, and might not even bring your credit score back up--depending on what kind of status they put the account in once the settlement has been reported.

Quoting lilyrose73:

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Loved4Sure
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I haven't read any replies.

The only thing I can think of is to request a copy of unpaid utilities from rental company or the agency they may have sold the debt to.

Unfortunately, it can take 6 months to remove a debt that have been paid.

If the debt is incorrect it can take up to 3 months to remove it from your credit report.

momoftwo0720
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Quoting lilyrose73:

That is what we had to do on my husbands credit. It said he owed child support to me and we were married. We took care of that before we got married but it still kept showing up. We disputed it and it was taken care of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)