• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's Lying and Im Bout Ready To Pull My Hair Out

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 4.5 year old Ds that is....the other day, he didnt finish lunch, so he was told he couldnt have anything else (NO snacks, food, nothing) until dinner....well later that day after naptime, we all went outside, and he said he had to go potty and was thirsty, so i told him ok go get something to drink and come right back outside. So when he came back outside, he had PB&J all over his face, so i asked him 'Did you get the PB&J sandwich off the table and eat it' and of course he says no...so he isnt allowed to play for the rest of the day...then today, we spent the day at my BFFs hosue, and he took a nap in the playroom on the air mattress....well i go in there to check on him, and he had deflated the air mattress and peeled a bunch of paint off the wall....and when i asked him about it, keeps saying NO....so his dad tells me to take away all priveledges once again today...he has been lying like this for a couple of months, and DOES know its wrong. We have talked about it before, and yet he still does it....and idk what to do about it. Its stressing me out, and really really pissing me off...if its one thing i HATE its to be lied to...even about something stupid....so what have you done in this situation?? Anything that worked for you would be a great place to try...

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fawn80
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Wow.  I dunno!  I just tell my kids that I know they're lying and lying is disrespectful and it hurts mommy's feelings. 

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM

HOnestly, he doesnt care about feelings....and he will tell you so! Its VERY frustrating....urgh

Quoting Fawn80:

Wow.  I dunno!  I just tell my kids that I know they're lying and lying is disrespectful and it hurts mommy's feelings. 

TiredMommy6906
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I don't know what to tell you, as my daughter isn't in that phase yet (hopefully will bypass it altogether, lol). But, I would be very interested to hear what others have to say. 

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I was hoping he would bypass this stage....really i was! But OMG im losing it...what i want to do is spank him, but we decided a long time ago that doesnt work with him

Quoting TiredMommy6906:

I don't know what to tell you, as my daughter isn't in that phase yet (hopefully will bypass it altogether, lol). But, I would be very interested to hear what others have to say. 

AidensMommy2007
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Wow this would be a hard one. I would try washing his mouth with soap everytime he lies. I know how you feel I HATE to be lied to also and if that doesnt work start taking away a fav toy everytime and he dont get them till he stops lieing and if it means losing them all until he has no toys for about a week then that what I would do. And if you can get someone to keep him at home when yall go do something fun and he will see he misses out on the fun things because he dont tell mommy the truth. Theres a few. Hope something works. GL mom.

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I use vinegar instead of soap....this kid used to eat soap...but laely even that isnt working. Today, he has no toys, he had no TV yesterday because of being bad, and im just running out of ideas....i was thinking about making him stay home with someone (idk who yet) tomorrow night while i take my DD to my Dh softball game, since Ds really wants to go

Quoting AidensMommy2007:

Wow this would be a hard one. I would try washing his mouth with soap everytime he lies. I know how you feel I HATE to be lied to also and if that doesnt work start taking away a fav toy everytime and he dont get them till he stops lieing and if it means losing them all until he has no toys for about a week then that what I would do. And if you can get someone to keep him at home when yall go do something fun and he will see he misses out on the fun things because he dont tell mommy the truth. Theres a few. Hope something works. GL mom.

Loved4Sure
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I used to be a nanny and I had this problem with one of my charges. He was 5 at the time.

We tried to set boundaries and have solid consequences for the behavior, but the punishment never worked.

I had to start lying to him.

I would promise him brownies, oooops I lied.

I promised him he could go to the movies, then I wouldleave him with Nana....haha I lied.

It seems cold, but in a matter of three weeks he was telling on him self and stopped the ridiculous and frivolous lying.

Ofcourse, I had the support of his father 100%.

No mom, she passed away right after he was born.

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM

That is a really good idea....i think im going to try that! Thank you!

Quoting Loved4Sure:

I used to be a nanny and I had this problem with one of my charges. He was 5 at the time.

We tried to set boundaries and have solid consequences for the behavior, but the punishment never worked.

I promised him he could go to the movies, then I wouldleave him with Nana....haha I lied.

It seems cold, but in a matter of three weeks he was telling on him self and stopped the ridiculous and frivolous lying.

Loved4Sure
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM

please, if you do this, make surethey are lies that cannot hurt his trust issues with others etc.

when your ds calls you out on being unfair or lying, that is your cue to have the brief talk about how lying hurts people. Then you have to promise to be hinest with him and expect the same in return or their will be consequences to suit the lie.

Quoting missamanda86:

That is a really good idea....i think im going to try that! Thank you!

Quoting Loved4Sure:

missamanda86
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM

No, i would just use little things like playing outside, or like you, having brownies, or going to a movie....little things like that...

Quoting Loved4Sure:

please, if you do this, make surethey are lies that cannot hurt his trust issues with others etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)