Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

leashes for children

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM
  • 128 Replies

Poll

Question: would you put a leash on your child

Options:

no, my child is not a dog

no, but dont think there is anything wrong with it

yes, it makes things safer

yes but only because my child is hype-active and worries me

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 225

View Results

Would you put a leash on your child? I know a lot of people that do it for safety reasons but was wondering how mamy peopl agree with this or not....

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miranda926
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Ok well I didn't vote because I wouldn't put an actual leash on my child.  I have seen those cute little back pack things with the rope on them and I would definately use those but only for large zoos, fairs, and street festivals. 

justinejoy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

This should be fun :)   Are you fairly new to cafemom? 

I tried the monkey backpack thing from wal-mart and my son HATED it.  He would just sit down right in the middle of where ever we were.  It was much easier (even with two kids, 11 months apart) to either put him in the stroller, or teach him how to walk holding mommies hand. 

Justine butterfly on head  

Osstie
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:50 PM

If it's not your kid, who cares?!?!?!?!

eye rolling

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I don't use them, but you will be corrected.  It's a safety harness.  It keeps kids from running off.  I've found, on here, that mom's use them when they have their hands full or to let their child have a little freedom. 

~Jill~

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM

yes I have.  I don't think of my children as dogs or anything but both have gone through a stage where no matter what they just don't listen if I tell them to stop.  So to kee them safe I have used a child harness on each of them and I will on the new one as well if need be.  Some kids don't need them. some love strollers and hand holding and will listen when you tell them to stob. But others like mine scream the seceond they see a stroller, they get mad sitting in a car for long,(and alot of laces I go don't have carts) and they want to walk, or run.  My kids will hold hands but once in a while they simply get the idea in their heads to take off.  Even if I am right there sometimes I can't catch them, so the 'leash' is important for some trips. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

babybump87
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM

im not new to cafemom, i figured this might get a little hairy but i have been struggling with whether or not i should implement a "leash/harness thingy" when my son gets old enough, i knw a lot of people who just flat out disagree with using these and i was wondering what everyone else thought about it

Quoting justinejoy:

This should be fun :) Are you fairly new to cafemom?

I tried the monkey backpack thing from wal-mart and my son HATED it. He would just sit down right in the middle of where ever we were. It was much easier (even with two kids, 11 months apart) to either put him in the stroller, or teach him how to walk holding mommies hand.

nikkiJ86
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I would never use one,but I would never judge anyone else for using one.

momoftwo0720
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I had the monkey backpack for my daughter. I used it when we went to large places and when we went to the grand canyon. Everybody looked at me funny but two weeks after we got back from the grand canyon i saw on the news that a little girl, same age as my daughter, had fell off the canyon. I kid you not. I will use one with my son too.

babybump87
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM

safety harness/leash  whatever. we are all grown up (or are supposedto be) lets not get into a freakin argument over terminology, i didnt use the term "leash" to cause an uproar so everyone needs to calm down, this just goes to show its not always the poster causing the drama, its people who are over-sensitive and looking for an argument

Quoting jillbailey26:

I don't use them, but you will be corrected. It's a safety harness. It keeps kids from running off. I've found, on here, that mom's use them when they have their hands full or to let their child have a little freedom.

Amybelle
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Yes a "Leash" post.........................what is this?? about the 199,999,999th post on this subject.

Drama points - 8.5

Originalty points - 0.0

lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)