Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical Mistakes

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm watching Oprah right now and it's about Medical Mistakes....

This women was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a masectomy....she had ultrasounds and cat scans and they could never find a tumor.  They told her she had a rare form that produced cancer cells but not tumors....so she had the surgery.  After the surgery, they called her in and told her they mixed up her slides and she never had breast cancer!

It saddens me when people say "I did it (whatever the case may be) b/c the doctor said and doctor's know best."  I just want to urge everyone to ALWAYS get a second or third opinion...go home do your own research...don't just do something b/c a doctor told you...especially in a case like this where they couldn't even find a tumor but she went ahead and did it anyway.  

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy5
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

wow I would be so upset if this happened to me. Its true get a second opinion. My father was diagnosed as having HIV and didnt it saddens me to think that I lost more time with him becuase he chose not to have contact wth me because of that. He was on the major talk shows about it and wasnt the only one at that time with a misdiagnosis adn because he had been a drug addict accepted it for awhile.

maryanna1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Oh wow, that is horrible!!!  I'm sorry to hear that.  If everyone would just do their own research and get more opinions on things then I bet there would be a lot less medical mistakes.  It said on Oprah that this kind of thing happens three times a day in America....now out of all the surgeries going on, that doesn't seem like a lot...but what if you are on the of three people getting operated on and it's not even the right thing or needed..  It's scary!!!

Quoting mommy5:

wow I would be so upset if this happened to me. Its true get a second opinion. My father was diagnosed as having HIV and didnt it saddens me to think that I lost more time with him becuase he chose not to have contact wth me because of that. He was on the major talk shows about it and wasnt the only one at that time with a misdiagnosis adn because he had been a drug addict accepted it for awhile.

fcangel9
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I hope she sued the hell out of those doctors and made them pay for reconstructive surgery on her breasts... that is horrible. 

maryanna1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:20 PM

It didn't say if she did that....well it might have but my son won't ever quit talking!!!  But I know I definitely would have..........................

Quoting fcangel9:

I hope she sued the hell out of those doctors and made them pay for reconstructive surgery on her breasts... that is horrible. 

Loved4Sure
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM

This happened to a woman in TX. She was told she had cancer in her nose and her nose was removed. She had to have a prosthetic made. After tests were conducted on her removed nose they realized samples must have been mixed up.

She sued, but because of mal practice suit laws in TX the most she could get was $250,000. 80 k went to her attorney.

maryanna1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Oh my gosh!!!  That is soooo horrible...that is not enough money!!!  I would be so incredibly depressed!!!

Quoting Loved4Sure:

This happened to a woman in TX. She was told she had cancer in her nose and her nose was removed. She had to have a prosthetic made. After tests were conducted on her removed nose they realized samples must have been mixed up.

She sued, but because of mal practice suit laws in TX the most she could get was $250,000. 80 k went to her attorney.

Schleetle
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Ahh thats awful! I saw a guy on Montel a few years ago that had abdominimal surgery, and they accidentally left this metal bar in his stomach. He got infected with the flesh eating bacteria because of it, and they had to cut a giant hole in his stomach. Then he had to have bleach rags stuffed into it to clean it out every month, It was sad, and also really gross.

Pregnancy Ticker

nessy1980
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM

This lady I knew went to the hospital for a bleeding ulcer she came out blind, one side paralized and psychotic. 

maryanna1
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Wow...that's scary!!! It's always scary when you have to have a surgery.  I know someone who went in for routine surgery and they knicked and intestine and he died.  It's very sad.

Quoting nessy1980:

This lady I knew went to the hospital for a bleeding ulcer she came out blind, one side paralized and psychotic. 

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Second, third, or even a fifth opinions don't matter if the doctors don't actually DO anything. My father got the flu one November, when I was 15. He never got sick before then, not even a cold. It lasted 3 months. During that time he went to 5, yes FIVE doctors, all of which "diagnosed" him with the flu. They never ran ANY tests, just diagnosed based on the symptoms. That January I didn't hear from him for a couple of days (very unlike him).  My mom (my parents were never married) showed up at my school one day. She told me that apparently my dad checked himself into the hospital a week before, and they called her in order to contact his next of kin (me). He had lung cancer. It was so far gone that there was nothing they could do, and gave him 6 months. He smoked pot on a daily basis, so that's why he never had any symptoms before then. They released him from the hospital a week later, and he died in his sleep that night (2 months exactly after my 16th bday).

My husband (RIP) got cellulitis once, and I had to take him to the hospital. He had numerous health and heart problems, so cellulitis could have been fatal for him if not caught early enough. I gave them all of the info they needed to admit him, then went outside to call our boss to let him know we wouldn't be in that night. We delivered newspapers, and I needed to give him enough notice so that he could find someone to cover us. When I got back in, the nurse was giving him IV meds. I asked what they ordered. Heparin (blood thinner) to prevent any blood clots from the swelling in his arm and Gentomycin. Excuse me?! He was allergic to gent. It caused kidney failure. I told them that! He was on dialysis and life support for a week because of it. He survived but still. I flat out told them that he was allergic to it, told them what it did to him. I even watched the triage nurse put it in the computer AND write it on the triage evaluation form.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)