• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 1 y/o has regressed. I want to scream. *VENT* PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

Seriously I'm flabbergasted.  We have been trying to get rid of the bottle since DS turned one.  I sold most of the bottles I had (Playtex mostly) and kept the ones he was using (Gerber and Avent).  We have finally gotten down to just the bedtime bottle this past week.  Well now the little bugger will not drink out of a sippy cup AT ALL!  He only wants a bottle.  The real kicker is that he doesn't want any of the bottles I kept.  No he wants the playtex ones which I have ONE that came in the mail this week.  UGH!  He cried himself to sleep last night.  I'm just so fed up with this!  If I could I would just go and buy 3 more of the Playtex ones and call it good since he only uses 2 bottles a day anyway but I can't afford to.  Bah bloody hell I've had it with this bottle thing!

He has had 8 oz of fluid total today (out of a bottle) and that was at 4 this afternoon when we were on the go.  He has had a sippy cup ALL day and hasn't touched it once.

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, ERF, EH, formula feeding, self weaning, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one, that includes you.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fcangel9
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM

dont give in... just keep giving him the sippy cup.  try the ones with straws.  the 11 month old i watch prefers those over regular cups.  Or you could try the ones that are soft like the bottle, the nuby cups.  You can usually get them for a dollar or 2 at walmart.  I know walgreens sells them 2 for 3 dollars. 

Ciuplys
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM

good luck

Loved4Sure
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM

he is going through an extinction burst. You are trying to ween him and he is resisiting. It is absolutely normal.

:: If someone's gained some reward every time for a particular behavior, the
behavior will persist.  If suddnely the reward stops coming, it's likely
that the person or animal will not immediately give up the behavior.
Instead, they'll try it again and again, harder, faster, more emphatically.
It's a burst of activity.  If the reward still doesn't come, eventually
the behavior will extinguish, or become extinct.  So, the burst of behavior
before extinction of the behavior is called an "extinction burst".::

It may be a little too early to get rid of the bottle all together.

You may just need to stick to your guns and deny it, come what may, and eventually he will take something.

KRISSH
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

wen all 3 my kids got off bottles i told em  on u b day bottles will go in trash . (thay got kool sippy cuts then.) i say just tell him no!!! let him know no matter what he does or, says or cryes he will not get it..he will cvay and carrie on ..mabie u can find a toy he likes or something . get him mind off it.".good luck.".by way my 4 y old twins had same issues  wth binkey ..thay finley let me have em for good 8 month ago..

AJSMOMMY0508
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I have one of every kind of sippy cup.  He won't use any of them.

Quoting fcangel9:

dont give in... just keep giving him the sippy cup.  try the ones with straws.  the 11 month old i watch prefers those over regular cups.  Or you could try the ones that are soft like the bottle, the nuby cups.  You can usually get them for a dollar or 2 at walmart.  I know walgreens sells them 2 for 3 dollars. 

I'm a single, vaxing, non co-sleeping, non-CIO, ERF, EH, formula feeding, self weaning, whatever works kind of mom.  I have my opinions and I defend them.  Don't like it too bad, I change for no one, that includes you.

LeanneC
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM

He's really young to completly do away with the bottle... does he have any other oral stimulation?   A paci?    He sounds like he's just not ready yet.

bigmommasmomma
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM

my 1 yr old put up a damned good fight also but by 13 months she was OFF that bottle. She started her stuff one day going to the cabinet and whining for her baba.... gave her one and she threw it, so from that day on she never had one agian threw every last one away just so I couldn't cave and give it to her!!! Good luck.

--MY LAINA BABY--
-got a taste of paint-

jridgill
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM

When my daughter turned one I just threw all of her bottles away. She cried for about 2 days and then forgot about them. We never looked back. Good Luck

momoftwo0720
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I got my son a sippy cup that  the part that they drink out of is made of rubber. I got him off the bottle in one day with it.

kmsmommy430
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM

my ds is one day  i believe younger than yours and he still gets a bottle at night. he never ask for it any other time the dr told me that its not a national tragedy if he has one a few more months. goodluck mammas

i am 23 yr old military wife mother of one ds and i have an 18 yr old adopted daughter. i am a non spanking, vaxing, non cio, erf, organic feeding , juice limiting, smokeing, dispossible diaper useing mom , who cant stand people telling me how to raise my ds. if you dont like what i do then dont do it with yours. i didnt marry you or have babys with you so  ill do it my way and you do it yours.

air forceteen girltoddler boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)