Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CAR SEAT BASE QUESTION--DO I BRING IT WITH??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, sorry this is probably kind of stupid.. I have a 6 mo. old and we're traveling for the 1st time with her on the plane. we're going to Chicago, and there we will not have a car, we will use taxis. So my question is-- do I have to bring the car seat base with me? seems like it would be kind of a pain.. but i guess thats the whole point of having a car seat right. and if i bring it do i put it in a bag and check it in? and do i use it in a taxi?? Please let me know if you can help me :) thank you!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Whitney2207
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I have no idea

bump

CafeMom Tickers
momma2-3boys
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:53 PM

No you do not have to bring the base.  The car seat is designed to be installed with out the base and with so either or is just as safe.  It will just be added weight that you don't need! 

Have fun and a safe trip!

austinsm0mmy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM

just check and make sure your seat can be installed with out the base and install it a couple of times with a seat belt so you get used to doing it before you go.  what type of seat do you have?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/babysafetravel

BabySafeTravel.com

The perfect family vacation starts with BabySafeTravel.com, where parents can share their experiences and find the best baby travel products at discount prices.

marisha9982
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM

umm. its like a graco seat.. it came with the stroller and base. i dont think you can put it with the seatbelt without the base..

austinsm0mmy
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:55 PM

just double check your manual you should be able to install it like this.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/babysafetravel

BabySafeTravel.com

The perfect family vacation starts with BabySafeTravel.com, where parents can share their experiences and find the best baby travel products at discount prices.

Butterflysky_24
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:01 AM

i dont like my car seat base so i dont use it, only strap in the car seat with the seat belt. i would say dont bring it. but if u do, dont carry it separately, just leave it snapped onto the car seat at all times

my2kids0506
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Nope you don't  have to bring the base. There was plenty of times that someone had to get my dd without her base and it can be buckled in without it.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

momma2-3boys
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Quoting marisha9982:

umm. its like a graco seat.. it came with the stroller and base. i dont think you can put it with the seatbelt without the base..

Well if it can NOT be installed with out the base then you HAVE to bring it.

What type of seat is it... Graco ________?

hurleydoll18
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Whether or not you need the base depends on the model car seat you have.  Many car seats can be installed with just the seat belt but some require the base to be used.  It will all be in your manual.  If the manual does not have directions to install the seat without the base, then you cannot use it without the base. 

Can be used withOUT the base.  The red line circles where the belt guide is

This seat CANNOT be installed without the base.  The red circle shows there is no belt guide

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)