Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I cannot believe my in-laws!!! VENT!!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM
  • 16 Replies

My in-laws are suppose to visit us this coming weekend. They are suppose to arrive friday afternoon and they are leaving monday morning. We have been planning this visit for 5 months now. They are also now bringing my step kids with them so we didn't have to drive all the way to Illinois (we live in kansas) to get them. I have already made a menu up and have bought all the food we needed for the visit which wasn't cheap at all. There are going to be 11 people including us in our home this weekend. Well tonight my MIL calls and asks DH if they could bring a stray cat they found that they are keeping. DH told her he would ask me about it. I told DH that because our girls are allergic to animals and that I have horrible allergies and asthma that I didn't want the cat here. Plus this cat is a stray they found 2 days ago, she has not had it checked out by a vet, so this cat could be sick, or have fleas or could have rabies for all we know since she hasn't taken it to a vet. And something else we have to take into consideration is that her other three cats had flea's during our last visit and she doesn't take her animal's to a vet regularly and does not get flea and tick med's to put on them, so I'm pretty sure that this cat will also have flea's simply because her other cats have flea's. I don't want this cat here, but if we don't allow her to bring the cat then she won't come and we don't have the money for the gas to go get the kids. I am just so angry right now that she would be so inconsiderate of our home. I am always very respectful of her home when we visit, I always make sure our kids don't make a mess and that we clean up after ourselves and so forth. But this just really makes me wonder what this woman can be thinking and I just can't understand why she would be so disrespectful of us and our home. I am just soooo angry at her right now.

EDIT**

The reason she wont leave it at home is because shes assumed that the cat is 6 weeks old and insists that it needs to be bottle fed every 2 hours. As I said shes not taken it to a vet and doesn't know anything about this cat. I'm afraid it will have rabies or some kind of illness that shes not telling us about.

Well I'm pretty pissed off, DH talked to his mom again today and he told herjust to bring the cat but it had to stay down stairs in the laundry room and that it wasn't allowed up stairs at all. I told DH that if the stupid cat has fleas it has to go outside in the garage. I wasn't very happy with him...I reminded him what happened the last time I picked a cat up and he just got pissy with me. He just doesn't want this affecting her bringing the kids. So I guess my children and I get to suffer while his mom got her way. He told me that had it not been for her bringing the children to us that he would have told her to stay home with her cat. I guess she told DH that she would take it to the vet when she got her pay check....How much ya wanna bet the freakin cat has flea's and she doesn't bother to take it to a vet. I am just in disbelief that she would do something like this.

Step Parenting:

One ofgirl giving flower the toughest jobs in the world.

Join my group Step Parenting!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/101472

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swizzlefiz
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:14 PM

She wants to bring the stray but leave her 3 cats home??

Robin_Ayla
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM

What i would do if i were you, is to pay to have the cat put in an animal boarding place for the weekend.. it wont be as expensive as gas to Illinois. And it will keep the peace.. hope this helps.

lilliputiansmom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Why does this cat have to come if the others are staying home? Can't who ever will be feeding them or boarding them do for the additional cat? I think it's very selfish of her to subject the whole family to allergies just to bring a cat. If she HAS to bring it make her leave it in the garage/laundry room or better yet board the cat. Could she be using this as an excuse to cancel the trip?

FranksHoney
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Oh no! this would not fly with my MIL. lol. I would simply lie to her. Tell her "sure you can bring the cat" and when she gets there, put your foot down and don't let her bring the cat into the house. You child is allergic for christs sake!

That is just rediculous! i hope everything works out for you.

babyjohnsmommy
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM

WOW that is crazy...she would stay home from seeing her family for a cat! Thats not right you have very good reasons for her not to want to bring the cat and its your house you dont need any reason. She is being rude im sure once she sees you wont back down and change your mind she will change her mind and come.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
taylansmom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM

she is selfish and if she boards the cat she will have to have proof of shots and so on. and why would you want to bring a stray into someones house that has kids that is stupid. I wouldn't let her push me into letting the cat stay there.

preview image

MidnightKarma
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Tell her to leave the cat at home with the other three cats. Allergies are a serious thing! God forbid something happened to one of the kids because of a stupid animal.  

canthaveboys1
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM

What in the world is wrong with this woman? Who the hell just finds a stray cat and takes it on vacation? That makes no sense to me at all. Tell her she can bring the cat and when she gets there tell her that you never said she could bring the cat in the house just that she could bring the cat. I think its really inconsiderate of anyone to even ask you to deal with it when not just you but your children have this allergy. She sounds like a real piece of work. Put her up in a hotel with her cat.  

WendyJR
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM

If she puts a stray cat above your family that's crappy. Maybe she could take it to a local animal shelter to board until they leave, some places will do that.

momoftwins240
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Quoting babyjohnsmommy:

WOW that is crazy...she would stay home from seeing her family for a cat! Thats not right you have very good reasons for her not to want to bring the cat and its your house you dont need any reason. She is being rude im sure once she sees you wont back down and change your mind she will change her mind and come.

I agree.  Tell her no cat.  If she doesn't come then that's her loss not yours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)