Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How long does a fever last when a baby gets shots?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

My 4 month old son had his shots on Tuesday...and I'm just wondering how long a fever normally lasts after they have their shots? 

by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

ive always been told no more than 2 days. my kids rarely get fevers after shots so idk from experience

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Our DDs usually lasted the first full day after the shots.  Why? Does your baby still have a fever? It could be an ear infection. 

bluescape
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM

my kids never got fevers or any reaction at all for that matter; my pediatrician told me way back when my (now) 15 yr-old was an infant to give them the baby dose of tylenol liquid about 20 minutes before the shot. ask your doc first, but that worked for me! hope your little angel feels better soon!! 

alliesmom5
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:47 PM

He's running a low grade temp.  About 99.  Nothing really to be worried about.  But I honestly think he is starting to teeth. 

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Yup, could be teething

ajc0623
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM
my ds got a fever when he first started teething. we thought it was the shots too because it came shortly after his 6 month shots but about 2 days later he had teeth! But I always give him tylonel before his shots anyways because his doctor said that it can cut down on how long he feels pain afterwards

Brayden's Mommy

in lovebaby boy
Mommy and Daddy and Brayden

midnightstar21
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I think it shouldnt last any longer then a day but im not sure cause my daughter never had a fever when she had her shots so here is a bump for u!

Tiger420
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 10:50 PM
my DS had a fever anywhere from 2 days to a week after he got his shots. It worried me at 1st but it happens everytime. He also had a fever an threw up a lot when he was teething so that might be why your LO has a fever. If you're really concerned there's nothing wrong with asking the doctor.
tyfry7496
by on Jun. 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM

It should only last a couple of days. Maybe your child is teething.

Nenasam
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 12:40 AM

You also could give your baby some tylenol.. but ask your pedi first.. warm long bath would help reduce the fever..

Quoting midnightstar21:

I think it shouldn't last any longer then a day but im not sure cause my daughter never had a fever when she had her shots so here is a bump for u!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)