Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Pools- Yay or Nay? UPDATE

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM
  • 17 Replies

So I want to take the girls to a pool today.  Pools that require membership here have $1500 initiation fee plus $500 annual dues.  That's insane, we don't have the money for that.  So, I was thinking about taking them to a public pool today.  DH is out of town.  If he were here, he'd say no way are we going to a public pool.  I don't see the harm in it. It still needs to be clean and all since it's operated by the city.  What do you think?

Well, I decided to take them and glad I did.  We all had fun and we're all still in one piece.  We may go again this week. 

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
URMySunshine07
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Take them. THey city pools have to keep up to code. Nothing wrong with them.

expecting boy Sunshine's Mom toddler girl

Pregnancy ticker

chamelinmom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:46 AM

i wouldnt, first off i use to lifeguard at a semiprivate pool, ymca. The kids there use to blow their noses in them, pee, spit, ect and would brag about it. cleanlyness was not there. i wouldnt even swim in it myself. I couldnt stand the thought of that stuff on my skin or in my hair. Thus is why a good lifeguard is a dry one. I cant even immagain what kind of diseases learks in totally public pools. gross. i wouldnt allow my children to swim in one. For about $100 you can get a 4 feet pool in your own back yard

chamelinmom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

they are sopose to keep it to code, but you know as well as i do that they dont. not unless an inspector is there that day. same with restrants. i known too many lifeguards to know what goes on behind the scenes. if someone poops in the water, all they do is take everyone out for 30 mins and add a little more clorine. thats is. thats not gonna kill the bateria from it

Quoting URMySunshine07:

Take them. THey city pools have to keep up to code. Nothing wrong with them.

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM

That's really gross! So I wonder if that's why Members only pools charge so much?

Quoting chamelinmom:

i wouldnt, first off i use to lifeguard at a semiprivate pool, ymca. The kids there use to blow their noses in them, pee, spit, ect and would brag about it. cleanlyness was not there. i wouldnt even swim in it myself. I couldnt stand the thought of that stuff on my skin or in my hair. Thus is why a good lifeguard is a dry one. I cant even immagain what kind of diseases learks in totally public pools. gross. i wouldnt allow my children to swim in one. For about $100 you can get a 4 feet pool in your own back yard

chamelinmom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:57 AM

honestly i think its because youll pay it. i would get $10 an hour just to sit there and i know some that would get way more, then they pay for the huge pumps and they have to have shock stuff so when inspectors come you can quickly get it back to where its sopose to be(saves in money) and the lighting and if its indoors, the heat. its a lot they need to pay for expecally if its all year round. but yea its gross

Quoting raleighmom:

That's really gross! So I wonder if that's why Members only pools charge so much?

Quoting chamelinmom:

EiEiO
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Take the kids to the pool.  Any where you go there are going to be germs.   I used to not take mine for the same reason and now  we do go.   Now I do prefer to only to take them to the ones that require all kids four and under be in a swim diaper.

darbie2008
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM

even some of the  member only pools have germs and such ...my ymce is awesome they shut the pool down for 24 hours if someone poops int he pool and everyone under four have to wear water pants...all pools are germy no mater what you pay its a public place

prestonjohn
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM

take them,,, there are germs in all places, and honestly its the rich who can afford the "big fees" who are pigs the most because they feel they paid, you can clean it, kwim,,an most the time you can barely open your eyes in the water the chlorine is so strong

raleighmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I better check about the swim diapers if we do go.  I have a 3 year old who's PT. 

Quoting darbie2008:

even some of the  member only pools have germs and such ...my ymce is awesome they shut the pool down for 24 hours if someone poops int he pool and everyone under four have to wear water pants...all pools are germy no mater what you pay its a public place

darbie2008
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM

sometimes its just nice add insurence ...i know my little borther would get out for nothing when we first took him to the pool when he was 3 and he was fully trained then ..and i have a feeling my son will be the same way i can hardly get him outof the water now at seven months ...just do a scrub down when u get home of if they have a shower us it there :)

Quoting raleighmom:

I better check about the swim diapers if we do go.  I have a 3 year old who's PT.

Quoting darbie2008:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)