Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

your money saving ideas and tips needed!

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

we are on a tight budget right now, as are so many other people out there. i'm always looking for new ideas to save money in any way possible. any ideas out there?

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GOBryan
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Buy 2 for 1 items and use coupons. 

Buy store brand rather than name brand for most items.

When I was a financial analyst, we always told our clients to make themselves the first bill they pay before they pay all other bills.  This is especially important for saving money if you don't have a 401k or pension plan.  Even if that means you only put away $5. a week.. anything is better than nothing.

Look for sale items in stores.

Reduce unnecessary bills at home such as cable, cell phones, etc.  If you don't have a bundles plan, get it.. it's cheaper.. this usually includes, phone, internet and satelite/cable.  You'll save money that way.

If you have credit card debt pending, call and negotiate the interest rate.. most will help, especially if you're a good customer.  If you owe credit card debt and have not paid in a while, you can call and negotiate in order to cut them down to a fraction of what you owe.. Atleast half.

Call your local electric company and find out what the ideal degree on your a/c should be.. In Florida, it's 78 degrees.. also have them come out to do free energy checks in your home.

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM

For us, its the little things that addup to savings.

* I NEVER let food go to waste. If I have bread turning stale, I finish drying it out and make croutons or bread crumbs. If its the last day of the eggs, I make up batch of egg salad. Older garlic gets roasted and pureed to use in other recipes. A chicken carcass makes chicken broth with all the older veggies I have to use up.

* I menu plan. For example, if a recipe calls for half a red bell pepper I make sure next nites dinner used the other half of the red bell pepper. Left over roast beef is bbq beef sandwiches the next night. It also ensures I don't buy uneccessary items.

* I unplug all small appliances (coffee pot, convection toaster oven, hair dryer, tv's, and so on)...when they are not being used, You cannot believe the difference in our electric bill! We also charge our cell phones in the car to save on the bill.

* We save on not needed items. I take DH his lunch. No more starbucks for us, either. Or fast food. We can get a pizza we can make at home on sale for $5. Why order in for $18?

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

DivaMom0608
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I am a penny pincher myself and I have the perfect solution for you because it works for me and I'm sure that it will work for you too. Visit my homepage and click on my web link to get more information. This has put extra money in my pocket to help me pay off a few bills and get  nice budget plan setup. You can also call these numbers as well 800-394-6919. We all need an alternate means of bringing in income. In the mean time look for sales only and make a lsit to separate your wants from your needs.

Ms.Upinyourface
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Part of my food budget is for buying bulk . I save alot in a year by getting a great price per lb on things that are on hand when tight is really tight.

Keep a garden. And spend regular time with it. Not alot. The baby greens, the items that add freash top quality food to your family is worth it. Nothing like really good tomatos and by putting the tomatos your like into your garden is a better guareetee that you will grow a tomato that you like.

Take breaks from spending any money. Make due.

luvkids329
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM

heres what i do, stock up on meat when its on sale, seperate it into freezer bags, you can always whip s'thing up with meat! stock up on laundry soap, shampoo, tp, and everything you always need when its on sale, and stash secret savings like i do in my little box of pads, no one looks in there! i stash twenties in there that hubby doesnt know about, hey comes in handy when we need it!!!

nessy1980
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Here is what I do I price match. and then if I have a coupon for the item I use it. I always unplug things I am not using. I keep the windows closed during the summer to save on electric. When I scrub dishes I use cold water because I put them in the dishwasher.I buy generic items. I stock up on things that are on sale. I don't eat fast food because that's expensive. I cut cable, I don't have a cell phone. When I see a sale on shirts at target like 1$ I buy them for my daughter like crazy. To me convenience costs money. I make my own laundry soap, We eat leftovers a lot. I cant plant a garden because I live in Las Vegas. the thing the cottage cheese are in I use them to make tuna fish. You can cut soda bottles and use them to plant things in there and use the other side as a funnel. thats all I can think of. oh and my husband learned how to do our breaks so we dont pay 200 dollars anymore just 30 now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)