Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 13 year old son

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM
  • 76 Replies

My 13 year old son Tanner is the mouthest, most obnoxious kid on this planet. He has a foul mouth, tells me what he's going to do instead of asking me, tells me no all the time, he's mouthy and rude and I just don't know what to do anymore. He hates school, he hates his brother's and sister's and he hates just about everything. I can't handle this kid anymore, he won't go live with his dad because his dad would straighten his butt out and Tanner would just rather stay here and drive me nuts. His older brother was never like this I don't know what has got into this kid, he use to be a sweet kid than all of the sudden he's the rudest most ignorant and obnoxious kid. I just wish I knew how to get him to be the kid he use to be. I've tried getting him to see a counselor and he refuses to go see one. I'm at wits end with him. Does anyone have any advice for me? Or should I just let him act this way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Melissa

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brower6
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

My 12 year old son has been mouthy lately to, everyone keeps telling me that its his age and he will outgrow it, but I to am fed up with it. I take tv and playstation from him and make him read all day and it works for the day

JustMom1971
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I know what you mean I am sick of Tanner acting like this. He's grounded right now because he mouthed off to me this morning and so I grounded him, took away his tv, computer and video games and made him clean his room but he still won't listen to me even after all this. He went from getting straight A's in school to getting D's. I don't know what to do.

Quoting brower6:

My 12 year old son has been mouthy lately to, everyone keeps telling me that its his age and he will outgrow it, but I to am fed up with it. I take tv and playstation from him and make him read all day and it works for the day

peanutsmommy1
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I hate to sound "supernanny" on you, but you are the adult in the family, and what you say goes

As long as you are giving him a roof over his head and food in his stomach, everything else is a privelage that can be revoked and earned back when he starts treating you with respect.

Take cell phones, visits with friends, tv, ipod, even his bedroom door if you have to.

Abosolutely do not let him treat you this way!

JustMom1971
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I know it but he doesn't seem to care. I've taken all electronic things away from him and told him he's grounded for a week because he told me to f off this morning. I smacked him right in the face for saying that, I didn't hurt him but he needs to understand that he can't get away with this. I just had a baby on the 17th and I'm recovering from that and he wants to act this way, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm trying everything I can.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I hate to sound "supernanny" on you, but you are the adult in the family, and what you say goes

As long as you are giving him a roof over his head and food in his stomach, everything else is a privelage that can be revoked and earned back when he starts treating you with respect.

Take cell phones, visits with friends, tv, ipod, even his bedroom door if you have to.

peanutsmommy1
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I'm assuming that you are divorced?

What kind of backup are you getting from his dad?

JustMom1971
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Yes I'm divorced from his dad, I'm re-married though. His dad tells me that he acts good when he's at his house and I told him that he can take him than and Tanner told me that he's not moving in with his dad because his dad is too strict. Well don't you think that Tanner needs that? He refuses to live with his dad because he knows his dad won't allow him to act like this, hell I won't allow it either I just don't know what to do to get him to listen to me. He thinks it's funny too that's the thing that makes me mad, he tells me he hates me and everything. He use to be such a good kid now his grades are slipping in school and he's acting like this.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

proudmommytoOJ
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:31 PM
I agree 100%

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

PiscesMommy021
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Since you know his dad will straighten him out then I  think that you should make him live with his dad because he obviously is set on doing things his way and not listening to you. He thinks/knows he can get away with stuff with you and he doesn't care if you punish him. If you are truly at your wits end and have tried everything, then I believe the only thing left that you can do is make him stay with his father until he can straighten up and listen to you

JustMom1971
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I have taken all electronics away from him and grounded him for a week and he's asking me if he's still grounded. I grounded him today, a week means next Sunday, I don't know what he doesn't understand about that. I talked with his dad for a few minutes today and told him how Tanner's been acting and his dad told me to ground him and take things away from him so I did. I just know I just set myself up for hell this week though.

Nina10
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I don't see how that is his decision.  Pack up all his stuff and MOVE him to his Dad's.  Maybe a week there will straighten him out.  Or else have his dad come over and kick his ass. 

Quoting JustMom1971:

Yes I'm divorced from his dad, I'm re-married though. His dad tells me that he acts good when he's at his house and I told him that he can take him than and Tanner told me that he's not moving in with his dad because his dad is too strict. Well don't you think that Tanner needs that? He refuses to live with his dad because he knows his dad won't allow him to act like this, hell I won't allow it either I just don't know what to do to get him to listen to me. He thinks it's funny too that's the thing that makes me mad, he tells me he hates me and everything. He use to be such a good kid now his grades are slipping in school and he's acting like this.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)