Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about Alzheimers/Dementia?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

I cannot stand my FIL... but even I am getting worried... He is 77 and always been sharp as a tack... but lately he is like "losing it"... Forgetting important things or even conversations he had... Last night DH called him and even though he called DH by name, he asked how the fireworks stand was and if Zack was helping.... one, it's is his GRANDSONS stand and two, his grandson and his wife lost custody of Zack MONTHS ago and he moved to SC with his biological father.... He even forgot a carseat for his great granddaughters and put her in the front passenger seat... she is 3!!! And I only know about it because he had to go to court for it.

This is all coming on fast... it's just weird... should we say anything?

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
furryg
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Absolutely you should. If it is Alzheimers or demetia, he could become dangerous to himself or others. I'm not suggesting he would intentionally. My grandfather had Alzheimers and it is awful. The quicker it is diagnosed, the quicker he can get treatment and change his diet/add supplements, etc. Getting him to a doctor asap for an evaluation would be a really good idea imho.

SxyPanamami83
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM

YES YES and YES get him evaluated for it. Sadly my grandma has suffered from alzhiemers for over 10 years now. I believe shes in the last stage and sadly probably only has a few years left. There are seven stages in Alzheimers and he seems to be in the first two. They also have medicince now to help slow down the process. definetly ge tthe help he needs.

travswifey
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I would definitely get him to a doc and get meds for him. Depending on how far it has progressed he can seriously hurt himself or the kids! I have mainly worked all my life with Alzheimers/Dementia patients and don't argue with them, be calm. Good luck!

I want to be your favorite hello
              and your hardest goodbye.

Jennifer & Travis 8-2-8

erin_suzy
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I worked in an alzheimer's unit at a retirement home for a few years. It is a disease I wouldn't wish on anyone, and it is very difficult for the family members. We noticed that family members would rarely visit their loved ones in the unit. One tip the nurse told us was: That if you forget WHERE your keys are, that is normal memory loss- but if you forget WHAT your keys are that is a sign of alzheimers.

SxyPanamami83
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM

http://www.alz.org/index.asp

check out this website for the alzheimers association. you dont have to sign up or anything but its free ify ou want to. I learned a lot more about this disease for a paper i had to write in psychology. There is alot of helpful information.

KRISSH
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM

BOTH OF MY GP'S HAVE IT..WE HAVE BEEN HELPINGTHEM FOR 10 YEARS..IF HE HAS IT GET HELP..LOT OF HELP..IT WILL WEAR ON U ..IT IS HARD ON THE HART AND NEVERS..WE THAY SAY 100 TIMES A DAY "I WONT TO GO HOME" OR WER'E IS MOM..AND U HAVE TO TELL HER MOM PASSED AWAY IN 76 AND U WERE WRIGHT BY HER SIDE..WE THAY LOOK U IN THE FACE AND DO NOT RECALL U THATS WEN IT GET HARD..

ALL I CAN TELL U IS GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.

P.S THAY TURNE IN TO LITTEL KIDS..ALMOST LIKE BABIES ..ALL U NEED TO IS LOVE EM HUG EM TELL EM  U LOVE THEM EVERY TIME U SEE THEM. THAY NEED PEPLE TO SHOW THEM KIDNESS

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Thanks everyone... I gotta find a way to bring it up, now... MIL is rapidly deteriorating from her COPD and gets bad panic attacks, so I don't want to say anything to her... I think I will call FIL's SIL, who is close to them and younger (50's), and on the ball... 

proud-mom-two-kids.gif                                                                         Stefanie - Mom to Irish Twins Liam 7/07 (IUGR) and Molly 06/08 (IUGR,  Developmental Delays, Pre-Natal Stroke) and Wife to Mark since 2006.

travswifey
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Good luck and keep us updated!

I want to be your favorite hello
              and your hardest goodbye.

Jennifer & Travis 8-2-8

SIS213
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Quoting furryg:

Absolutely you should. If it is Alzheimers or demetia, he could become dangerous to himself or others. I'm not suggesting he would intentionally. My grandfather had Alzheimers and it is awful. The quicker it is diagnosed, the quicker he can get treatment and change his diet/add supplements, etc. Getting him to a doctor asap for an evaluation would be a really good idea imho.

I AGREE MY MIL HAS BOTH AND IT IS A SAD THING TO SEE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)