Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What counts as a word?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM
  • 3 Replies

DS' Dr. always asks me how many words ds can say. So I decided to try and count the other day but I then I couldn't quite decide what counted as a "word". Do animal sounds count? Do peoples names count? Do words that SO and i understand but others can't quite comprehend count? What about mannerisms that are verbally expressed? Ds does this thing where he puts his index finger up to his chin and says hmmm everytime I ask him a question, but thats not a word, right?

Anyway I realized these questions make a huge difference in "how many words he can say" so what would you ladies count as words?

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lundaylove
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM

i count it all. lol. Our speech therapist counts words,names, approximations (which would be like wa-wa for water), sounds for animals definately count. When talking to the ped just tell him everything, dont just say some number explain it to him and he will decide what counts for them or not. But for us, it all counts.

mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

i count it all. lol. Our speech therapist counts words,names, approximations (which would be like wa-wa for water), sounds for animals definately count. When talking to the ped just tell him everything, dont just say some number explain it to him and he will decide what counts for them or not. But for us, it all counts.

Same here.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Natural childbirth having because it's better for you and your baby than drugs, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing because my children aren't minimums, Spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO because leaving your child to cry in a room alone to go to sleep is horrible for their little brains, Co-sleeping because I don't want go have to get up in the middle of the night to a hungry child, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls! 

PM me if you have any questions.

Think what you want of me, we all have our own opinions. I state mine, you state yours, we're both happy.

Kayci9
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

How old was your little one when you put them in speech thereapy and what made you decide to?

Quoting lundaylove:

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)