Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good book recommendations???

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM
  • 31 Replies

I'm going to Florida for a week starting next Friday, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on some books to take with me. Most recently I have read the Twilight Series, and The Da Vinci Code, and liked them. My favorite book (so far) is "In Watermelon Sugar" by Richard Brautigan. I also like interesting biographies like "Mommy Dearest" (I think that is what it was called) as well as things to educate myself on other's beliefs like "The Communist Manifesto". Fantasy books like ones from R.A. Salvator are alright, but I really have to focus for it to be able to keep my interest. I'm not into Romance Novels. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks ladies!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheri74
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I just finished my sisters keeper and i really enjoyed it

retsillacam
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

do you like Stephen King? I just got done reading Cell, and The Girl who Love Tom Gordan buy him. They both were pretty good. Cell was better though.

dragonlilly3492
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

If you like mystery and suspence.. anything by Mary Higgins Clark. But if you do go with her stuff, don't start with Daddy's Girl.

behappilyever
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Stephen King is alright. I got kinda burnt out on him at an early age though. I tend to avoid him, Koontz and Graham now because I read them a lot while growing up. I read a lot of Stephen King until I found "The Dragon's Eye" (i think that is what it was called) and then I just lost interest

Quoting retsillacam:

do you like Stephen King? I just got done reading Cell, and The Girl who Love Tom Gordan buy him. They both were pretty good. Cell was better though.

squidsmommy
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 1:49 PM

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving is really good, but my all time favorite book, and my mom will agree with me on this one is Modoc. I don't know who wrote it, but it is an incredible story, especially because it's true.

furryg
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I loved "The Shack". It's one of the best books I've read in a long time.

msheriff
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Most of the books that Oprah has used for her book club.  You can find the list on her website.  I'm a Twilight mom so I recommend them.  They are geared toward adolscent girls but if you can get over that and get into the story you'll be fine.

behappilyever
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:42 PM

thanks ladies!

Tiger420
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:50 PM
The abhorsen trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen) the inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr) Harry potter...those are my favorites.
momto2boys973
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM

If you like suspense, try "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr- oldie but goodie.

My favorite book so far (and I've read a lot!) is "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet and I'm proud I read it before Oprah found it :) It has a sequel "World Without End" which is very good as well, but nothing like the first one. They're long, but believe me, you'll be hooked and finish it very quickly.

Sharon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)