Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should my baby have her first shots??

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm not talking about in the hospital when they give her a hep B shot or anything like that...I think it was hep B. I can't remember she got offered that but told me I may end up having to pay for it because they didn't know if the insurance would pay for it, But said I could turn it down and get it done when I pick out a dr and they'll know more about the insurance....something like that. Well we have a dr for her now. She was born on May 17th. I took her to the dr because they wanted to watch her weight at the beggining. My mom took her to her last dr appt (which was to make sure she gained weight that week...her first week of life I think) anyway my mom got back and said that I needed to make her a 6 week appt. I think the dr told her too but i'm not sure. ANyway she has an appt next month but I called to see if she needed to make one earlier to get her first shots.So the receptionist said that at her appt next month she will get her first shots. Now my question is, next month she'll be about 3 months, is that right? Will it hurt anything? My mom told me that it should be sooner and wants me to switch drs, which I will anyway because this dr is through medical and we finally got her on my husbands insurance through his work. I know some moms don't vax so do you think that extra 4 weeks wont hurt anything or should I start looking now for a new dr or just see if they take my husbands insurance? What would you do in this situation?

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LillysMama0308
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

My DD is 16 months old and If I remember right she was 3 months old when she got her first shots so 3 months should be right..

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Since her first shots are going to be late, you may want to stagger her other ones meaning since she is getting the 2 month ones at 3 months....... her 6 month ones could be at 7months, 1 yr ones, at about 14 months etc.   Alot of moms do the delayed vaccinations as well so your doctor should be able to help you and give you a paper that shows when what shots should be given.   Each vaccination , if i remember right, has a 4 month window when they can be adminstered.   I hope this helps.

maderacaligirl
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Thanks!

luvbeingmama
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM
My doc sees babies at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, u get the idea...and 2 months were the first shots.
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

medical questions Children's Health Issues

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

MKlein
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM

In some cases you  can contact the insurance company and get a list of doctors that accept the insurance your husband has.

NicoleR13
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Quoting luvbeingmama:

My doc sees babies at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, u get the idea...and 2 months were the first shots.

I agree, this is how both of my kids got their shots.

Emily4536
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM

This is the same for my dr. her first shot was at her 2 months check up.

Quoting luvbeingmama:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)