Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New With a Question

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:56 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi,  I am Kerry, a mother of a three &1/2 year old girl.  I joined this group hoping for advice on raising my daughter, she is a handful- there is no one quite like her!   I am a little stumped on how to proceed with her imaginative play/ role playing.  She has a great imagination, she is always 'being' a different character (i.e. little black puppy, Penny, Nemo), but is is getting in the way of discipline (time outs) now.  I haven't actully been able to call her by her name for months.  I want to encourage it, and most of the time don't mind using the character names in everyday life ( "Chocolate pony, come here, it's bathtime!")  but it makes it hard for her to focus when I am trying to discipline her...if I forget, or call her the wrong name we go off on a huge tangent and my point loses it's importance.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  Is there such a thing as too much imaginative play?  Could I damage her somehow if I say 'no, right now you are emma and you are on a time out' or 'you can be puppy later when you are behaving'?

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I don't think you'll damage her in any way. If she's in trouble she shouldn't be playing anyway, she needs to be herself for that time.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Natural childbirth having because it's better for you and your baby than drugs, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing because my children aren't minimums, Spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO because leaving your child to cry in a room alone to go to sleep is horrible for their little brains, Co-sleeping because I don't want go have to get up in the middle of the night to a hungry child, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls! 

PM me if you have any questions.

Think what you want of me, we all have our own opinions. I state mine, you state yours, we're both happy.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM

No, you're not gonna damage her! : )  She needs to know when it's time to be serious and when it's time to play.  I think the part about being Emma when she's on time out and pony when she's behaving is very clever!  She'll get it eventually!  And I love the "chocolate pony", btw...good luck! 

Dreaming of that Paradise Earth...

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM

i think there is a time for play and a time for real life. when things need to happen like time outs or bath time i would use her name. u can call her a pretend name during play time. this way she can start to tell the difference between the two

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM

huggingI agree with everyone else!!! She need to know the difference between when you are serious and when it is time to play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)