Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I accidentally locked my baby inside the car today-long

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM
  • 103 Replies

Do not bash me.  I made a horrible mistake, and I have certainly learned what not to do.

I was shopping with my 8 month old son today, and as I was getting ready to start making my way home, I stopped at a gas station to put gas into my car.  It's 99 degrees outside today.  So I park at the pump, which is the farthest one from the store because the others were in use, and I pull the keys out of the ignition and drop them on the seat.  I hit the lock/unlock button so I can get the baby out of the backseat and drop the keys into the seat to dig in my wallet.  I get out of the car and shut my door, reach to open the back door, and it's locked.  They're all locked.  I have locked my keys and my baby in my car, which is not running.

There's a breeze blowing, so the heat doesn't immediately click with me.  My cell phone was in my pocket so I call the baby's daddy because he lives about 3 miles from where I was.  I'm looking around me and suddenly, every other vehicle that was just putting gas was gone.  No one is around, and there's nothing lying around that I can break a window with.  So I tell the baby's daddy that I've locked the keys and the baby in the car, the car is not running, to get there ASAP with something heavy to break my window.  He tells me he's on his way, but to call a wrecker, they can get there and get the door opened.  I hang up, and suddenly every news report of a child dying in a hot vehicle flashes through my mind.  I look through the window at my sleeping 8 month old, and in the 45 seconds since I shut the door, he's beet red and sweaty.

I officially enter freak out mode.

I called 911, told the dispatcher my location and that my 8 month old is locked in the nonrunning vehicle.  She immediately dispatches someone.  Almost instantly a firetruck pulls up and six guys jump out.  Two start working on my driver's door, two start working on the passenger door with tools and I'm screaming at them to break a damned window and get my baby out.  At this point the baby's daddy pulls up and gets out of his car and is just trying to hold onto me because I'm shaking and offically freaking the hell out.

It seemed like forever, but from the moment that I shut the door until the moment the baby was out of the car was about ten minutes.  They popped the door, I grabbed the baby, and one of them tested the temperature inside of the door.  In ten minutes, the temperature inside of my car had rose almost 20 degrees.

A couple of the firefighters were also EMTs and checked the baby out and all seemed fine.  We gave him a bottle and he was all smiles as if nothing had happened.

But the worst could have happened!  Please don't be as stupid as I was and let this mistake happen to you, if it does happen to you, call 911 immediately!  It got way too hot inside of that car in such a short amount of time!

The baby is fine, thank God, and thank God for those men that got there so quickly.  One of them even called me about an hour later to make sure everything was okay with the baby and with me.  They had taken down my information while checking out the baby and calming me down.

I was touched by an angel today, and you can bet the farm I will not be dropping my keys into the seat ever again!!

DS 8/11/2003

DD 1/12/2006

DS 10/30/2008

I'm a semi-cosleeping, feeding on demand, give it to her so she'll quit screaming, time-out then I'm going to spank you, anti-CIO, shopaholic, tattoo addicted, driving way too fast and racking up speeding tickets, obsessed with my SO, hooked on Grey's Anatomy, Britney Spears loving, bedtime story reading, hugs and kisses everyday, MOM.  XOXO

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dragonlilly3492
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM

You did he right thing, keep that in mind.

janette23

wow!! atleast you called 911 and they were able to get your baby out!

but thats a scary mistake to make

mommyofcutness

hugging how scary!!! 

swizzlefiz
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I'm so glad your baby is ok!  You are NOT stupid BTW.  Things like that can happen to us and its how we handle them that make us stupid or not.  You did good mama!

nessy1980
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Omg that would of freaked me out too. You arent a bad mom you were there the whole time and did what needed to be done. I would of broken the window. Everytime I go somewhere I always think of the kids that get locked in the car and arent so lucky and my kids are always the first to get out of the car.

MawagaMom

Oh I did the same thing on a winter day.  I closed the slider door and my keys fell.  My 10 month old was inside.  I smashed a window out with another person's tire iron.  It happens and you handled it well.

Kayci9

I feel your pain, that is so scary. I had a similar experience when ds was 8 months old as well. I was at SAMS club and did the exact same thing with hitting the lock/unlock button and setting my keys in the seat, except my cell was in the car too. It was about 95 degrees and within 2 min. Ds was sweating like crazy. I had no phone and no clue what to do! I started crying and freaking out and ran up to the next person I saw and asked a phone help anything. The window was open like an inch and I tried jamming my hand in to unlock it but I couldn't do it. Thankfully the woman I got to help me was about 85 pounds and was able to get her hand and hit the unlock button! Scariest thing of my life. Definitley a learning experience, glad your LO is ok!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
nickiturner04

Don't bash yourself!... It was a simple mistake & it could have happend to ANYONE. I'm glad the baby is okay!

Trese27

WOW i am almost in tears from your story!! no im not going to bash you, because i KNOW that it COULD of happened to me about 200 billion times!  ANYONE can make mistakes and you did take the right precautions!  congrats to you for your quick thinking and NOT caring about your car!! Whoever does bash you...is just trying to take the high road like mistakes never could happen like that to them! let it roll of your back and thank god for the 911 dispatcher and fire fighters and EVEN to your babys father for all acting quickly and doing what was necessary to get your child out safetly.  And give yourself a pat on the back for courage to tell this story.  i know it was prolly hard, but hopefully it will help other mothers to not make the same mistake, cuz i know i will continue to be careful and not do that!

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

When dd was about a year old I was getting ready to go to my parents for the weekend. I had my dogs in the car, put dd in her carseat and closed the back door so I could get into the driver seat. Right as I closed the back door the dog stepped on the door lock button. I had already turned the car on (thank goodness) so my keys were inside. I had to call the police to come pop the locks. It was about the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. Now I know to always have one door or a window open at all times if the dogs are in the car.

It happens mama. Learn from it but don't feel to awful about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)