Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I have known?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, we went to my sister's house for the 4th of July and spent the night at her house. My other sister lives right across the street, and my mom 2 houses down from her. We got there on Friday and my sis (the one who lives across the street didn't come home until after 1 am) so the next morning I got up early because DS (7 1/2 months) decided that he'd had enough sleeping. Everyone in the house was sleeping so we got dressed and I went across the street to see if my sis was awake. No answer. Okay 8 am- probably no one is up. So I went with my mom to the store (she saw us crossing the street and asked us to go). Then she mentioned that my sis (the one who didn't answer the door) had told her to talk to me about something about clothes.... I thought nothing about it.

Later in the day I went back to her house with my DS because I wanted to say hi and let him play with her DS who is exactly 1 year older than my DS. I heard her and her BF fighting. I knock on the door. And they went silent. Then I knocked again, no answer. So I tapped on the glass. The TV went off. Then I tapped again. Nothing. No answer at all. WTF?? I know they can hear me they were just talking so I know that they are there!! Why won't they answer??

So I went back across the street to my sisters house (the one we were staying at) and she calls them on the phone... they answered! My sister's BF said my sister was "in the shower." My DH went across the street to return the bassinet she'd "given" us when my DS was born- (That I'd asked her when we were done with it if she wanted it back). my sister was cooking. Okay. so they lied about the shower...

Well then my sis asked my DH about the clothes she'd "given" us for our DS and how she wanted what he no longer fit back... Uhmm I don't remember what she gave us. A lot of people gave us clothes. Like a lot of clothes- as in my DH and I never bought our DS a stitch of clothing. Not one thing.. So I have no clue what she gave us....

Should I have known when she "gave" us the clothes that she wanted it back?? I think that if she'd said she wanted it back I'd have told her to keep it. Or at least to mark them in some way that she gave them to us so I could return them. So what am I supposed to do bring everything that I have that he no longer fits and give her all of it? really? I just don't understand. And seriously, why is it that clothes her DS no longer fits should be so important that she won't answer the door when we come to visit? I just don't get it! I have things of my DS's that he no longer fits that I want to hold on to, but I wouldn't ever loan (or give) those things out! The rest I have in a big bag and was planning on giving them to whoever has a baby next (both sisters mentioned in this post are trying) so I don't get what the big deal is.

So my question is- should I have known??

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AnitaVersion2.0
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Of course not. 

swizzlefiz
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Nope, but I'd just show her what you have and tell her you had no idea she wanted her stuff back, then let her pick out what was hers since you don't remember.

cljolly007
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I don't think you should have known.  I wouldn't worry to much about it.  Is that the only reason why she wasn't speaking to you?  

nanaT2
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM

sounds like something else is going on that the family hasn't told you about. I would try to talk with the sis who isn't talking or ask your mom whats going on. It seems odd to me that you would be in the same stret as this sister but didn't talk with her while you were there.

gummi_worms
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM

of course you had no way of knowing. She should have said something from the beginning about it. If they were fighting, maybe her DH is the one making a huge deal over it?! IDK. If the clothes no longer fit your son anyway & you already plan to give them away to either sister... why not tell the mad sis that you don't remember what was hers but she is welcome to come over & look. If it were me, I would invite both sisters over (same day) & let them dig threw the clothes themselves so that neither woman is mad/hurt/upset/whatever. Good luck! 

MumsTheWord571
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Quoting nanaT2:

sounds like something else is going on that the family hasn't told you about. I would try to talk with the sis who isn't talking or ask your mom whats going on. It seems odd to me that you would be in the same stret as this sister but didn't talk with her while you were there.

I tried to talk to her but she refused to open the door for me. We got there around 3 the day before and she wasn't home until after we went to bed at 1 am. Then when I got up I tried to go see her, no answer. I tried again later- when I heard them inside and they got all quiet and didn't answer. Then I went to my Mom's to help with the BBQ and went to see her again around 1 and she was gone. She didn't even come to the BBQ. We left my Mom's around 10 pm and she wasn't back yet. Can't talk to someone who you don't see. IDK what's her problem. Seriously, how was I supposed to know she wanted the clothes back? I asked her if she wanted the bassinet back because that is an expensive item. And I returned that in better condition than I recieved it. She also gave me a bunch of toys, but I have no idea which ones were hers (most I know but not all) should I expect that she wants those back too?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)