Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tubal or Vasectomy?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm going to have a repeat C-section in october, and i was thinking of having my tubes tied at the same time, but a few people have told me that it would be alot less risky for my hubby just to get a vasectomy.  This will be our second child and we are both agree that two is good for us.  He also told me that he would get a vasectomy if it would be easy.  Some i guess im just needing some advice for all the moms on here who have their tubes tied.  Was there any complications?  Would u do it again given the chance? And i would also like to Know if their are moms on here whose hubby did get a vasectomy and how it turned out? 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you choose.   From what i understand neither are 100% effective all the time but the mens recovery time is faster.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM

We went with a vasectomy.

Of course that was over 20 years ago.

At that time the surgery for a tubal was so very evasive. I would have had to have been in the hospital for nearly a week. Plus several weeks of recovery.

For a vasectomy. It was less than a 30 minute office visit.  Quick in and out, snip and clip..  Recovery for my husand was less than 24 hours. He said that if felt like someone had kicked him in the balls. That was the worst of it for him.

Where a tubal can be considered a surgery..

A vasectomy is done in a physician's office. A local is given. A small insicion is made, the tube that connects the testical to the urethra (the tube in which the ejaculate is carried) is cut, then either tied off or carterized..  And that's it. That's a vasectomy.. Stitches generally aren't even needed because the incision is so small

Never have regretted the decision.

We have had over 20 years without a single pregnancy scare.

And no health problems or side effects for my husband.

For us. Vasectomy was the best and right choice.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM
I just had a tubal 2 1/2 weeks ago so I had to reply to the post! I would probably not have it done again. The surgery itself was a breeze and the pain was pretty minimal. However, since the surgery I have had severe stomach problems like cramping and diarreha (sorry, gross I know). My friends who have had it done and the gyn who did the surgery told me that this is common and can stay that way!!!! I am so upset that this was brought up after the surgery as opposed to before.
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I am also due in Oct. with our second one and Plan on getting my tubes tied.

Yes it is easier for men to get a Vac. But I want my tubes tied. My mom and middle sister got theirs done and they both regreat it.

I plan on talking to my doctor about it on monday when i go in for my Glucola test.

Hope you find all the answers your looking for and do lots of talking with your doctor and research online!.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM

My husband had a vasectomy. The way they do it now is they make a slit, pull up a loop, snip out a section, then burn the ends. It took less than 20 minutes. He had it done Friday and was back at work Sunday. All the research showed that the vasectomy has a lower risk of natural reversal than a tubal, but it is also harder (nearly impossible) to reverse.

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Which will cost more?  Which one will the insurance cover more of?  If both of you are willing to do it, that is what I would look at next.

a wedding website

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)