Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some advice about how to expain Alcohol to my almost 10 yr old son .

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi I need a little advice . My oldest son is almost 10 and has learned a lot about alcohol in his health class . I hardly ever drink but I have had a few drinks for the last couple of nights for the holiday. Noah (my son ) is very interested in why I am having a few drinks of alcohol wich he considers bad . I am super parinoid about alcohol abuse Alcoholism is rampant in my family both my sisters struggle with addiction everyday. I need to know how to explain to him that it is O.K for me to have a few drinks once in awhile . I also want him to know the dangers of it to IDK how to explain it he never has asked before My DH does not drink he has not had anything to drink in 22 yrs. Please send some advice my way ladies !

Katie . I am a disposable diaper,Formula feeding, CIO,Vaccinating,baby snuggling,shopping mama to 5 kids .Noah(9),Hailey (6),Riley (5),Caleb (3) and Grace (1) .family in the van

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bnnic
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM

bump, im wanting to know to!

wentworth99
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I am going to bump to I really need to know !

Katie . I am a disposable diaper,Formula feeding, CIO,Vaccinating,baby snuggling,shopping mama to 5 kids .Noah(9),Hailey (6),Riley (5),Caleb (3) and Grace (1) .family in the van

bnnic
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM

lets just keep bumpig until someone helps!

wentworth99
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Thanks I will Bump

Kaelaasmom
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I would just tell him that alcohol is only a bad thing if you drink to much of it, but that as an adult it is okay to have a little bit now and then.

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I explained to mine that it's not a bad thing for an ADULT to drink RESPONSIBLY.   Alcohol isn't inherently bad -- alcohol ABUSE is bad.

luvbeingmama
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM
I honestly wouldnt drink in front of my kids...or if i did i would put it in a cup that they wouldnt suspect anything. Its hard to explain to a kid that its not ok to drink when they see their parent do it. But thats just what i would do.
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM

My DH and I don't drink either, but here's trying for you... 

Try explaining that it's OK to have a few drinks every now and then, just like it's OK to have a little bit of candy/cake/junk food every now and then.  But, like the sweets and treats, having too much is when it's bad.

AnitaVersion2.0
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Quoting luvbeingmama:

I honestly wouldnt drink in front of my kids...or if i did i would put it in a cup that they wouldnt suspect anything. Its hard to explain to a kid that its not ok to drink when they see their parent do it. But thats just what i would do.

It's not hard for them to comprehend.  Do you hide your driving?  Cars are to be driven by adults only, and you're supposed to drive responsibly.  Kids don't have any problem understanding that concept.

dragonlilly3492
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM

If this were happening to me I would sit him down and explain that everything has a time and place. That adults who wish to have a drink, as long as its not much and you are old enough and responsible enough, once in a while is not a bad thing. Just like anything else though if you have too much it is bad. You could find something to compare it to that he only gets like a couple times a year. Make sure to explain that as he gets older he may see more and more people drink and that does not make it alright because even adults make bad decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)