Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How early were they really?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:25 PM
  • 6 Replies

I had my twins at 29 weeks.  One pregnancy site said they still had 12 weeks to go.  that doesnt make sence to me.  they are 21 months now.  I just found this while looking for something for my SIL. 

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lundaylove
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM

they were 11 weeks early. I had my twins 12 weeks early at 28 weeks. You subtract how far you went from 40 weeks. Thats how every single person i know does it.

mamaof32007
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM

I was just wondering, because the ivillage website (I think) said at 29 weeks there were still 12 weeks to go.  I was just confused thats all.  I always thought they were just 11 weeks ealy.  Thank you.

Quoting lundaylove:

they were 11 weeks early. I had my twins 12 weeks early at 28 weeks. You subtract how far you went from 40 weeks. Thats how every single person i know does it.

jgirl04
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM

That site I think does it differently. You're IN your 29th week, but you're 28 weeks and "x" amount of days. That's the only way I can come up with that sounds rational  lol

Quoting mamaof32007:

I was just wondering, because the ivillage website (I think) said at 29 weeks there were still 12 weeks to go.  I was just confused thats all.  I always thought they were just 11 weeks ealy.  Thank you.

Quoting lundaylove:

CafeMom Tickers
momoftwins240
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Well, forty weeks is the standard gestational period for babies, however, twins are almost always early.  Since this is the case, many doctors and hospitals now consider anything past 34 weeks as full term for twins.

So, 29 weeks gestation for your twins is definitely premature territory.  I'd say given the new standard for twin deliveries that your babies were 5-6 weeks early.

I had my girls at 37-1/2 weeks and my doctor said they were considered full term.  They weighed 6lbs 2oz and 5lbs 6oz so they were nice size babies for twins. 

nokesmomof2
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM

i had both my girls at 39 weeks and some days

have kids born in 06&08 come join my group please
http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsof06and08
sshene719
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 5:16 PM

i dont remember the exact math to it but your gestational age when giving birth is not your ACTUAL gestational age. i had my son 2mths 1 day early (31 wks). he was born 11 wks early. and here 42 wks is full term. anything after 35 is considered full term as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)